كيرتس XP-11

كيرتس XP-11


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

كيرتس XP-11

كان Curtiss XP-11 هو التسمية الممنوحة لثلاث طائرات من طراز Hawk كان من المفترض أن يتم تشغيلها بواسطة محرك Curtiss Chieftain ، لكن فشل هذا المحرك يعني عدم اكتمال أي منها مثل P-11s.

كان Curtiss H-1640 Chieftain عبارة عن محرك مبرد بالهواء مكون من 12 أسطوانة ، تم تطويره في نفس الوقت مع V-1570 Conqueror. قبل اكتمال P-11s ، أصبح من الواضح أن Chieftain كان تصميمًا غير مرضٍ ، وتقرر استكمالها بمحركات أخرى.

تم منح اثنين من محركات Conqueror وأصبحا P-6Ds بينما حصل الثالث على محرك Wright Cyclone الشعاعي وأصبح YP-20. بعد مزيد من العمل أصبح هذا النموذج الأولي لـ P-6E.


Company-Histories.com

عنوان:
1200 وول ستريت ويست
ليندهيرست ، نيو جيرسي 07071
الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية.

إحصائيات:

شركة عامة
تأسست: 1929
الموظفون: 2300
المبيعات: 293.26 مليون دولار (1999)
بورصات الأوراق المالية: نيويورك
رمز المؤشر: CW
NAIC: 333995 تصنيع أسطوانة الموائع والمشغل 332811 معالجة المعادن بالحرارة 332912 تصنيع صمامات الطاقة الموائع وتركيبات الخراطيم 331491 المعادن غير الحديدية (باستثناء النحاس والألمنيوم) الدرفلة والرسم والبثق

وجهات نظر الشركة:

لدى كيرتس رايت حقًا "الأشياء الصحيحة". تشكلت من الشركات التي بدأها رواد الطيران جلين كيرتس والأخوين رايت ، وتعمل الشركة على مستوى العالم في أسواق الطيران والبحرية والصناعية. بالنسبة لصناعة الطيران ، يقوم Curtiss-Wright بمعالجة معدن المحرك النفاث ويصنع أنظمة تشغيل تستخدم للتحكم في رفرف الجناح. كما أنها تصنع صمامات هندسية عالية لأنظمة الدفع النووي للبحرية الأمريكية وتنفذ عمليات الضرب بالطلقات والمعالجة الحرارية من أجل متانة المعادن وتشكيلها في صناعات السيارات والبناء والمعدات الزراعية. ومن بين العملاء الآخرين بوينج ولوكهيد مارتن. تمتلك شركة يونيترين القابضة للتأمين 43 في المائة من الشركة.

التواريخ الرئيسية:

1929: اندمجت شركة Curtiss Airplane و Motor Corporation مع شركة Wright Aeronautical Corporation.
1945: الحرب العالمية الثانية ترفع المبيعات السنوية لتتخطى المليار دولار.
1951: بقيادة روي هيرلي ، بدأت CWC حملة تنويع ضخمة.
1960: أمر الرئيس الجديد Roland Berner ببيع عدة أقسام.
1967: أسقطت CWC أعمال المحركات النفاثة لصالح أنظمة تشغيل الرفرف ومعالجة المعادن.
1972: الإثارة حول محرك Wankel الدوار الخاص بشركة CWC ترسل الأسهم إلى السماء.
1978: CWC تحاول الاستيلاء العدائي على شركة Kennecott Corporation العملاقة للنحاس.
1981: الهدنة بين CWC و Kennecott تترك Teledyne مع 50 بالمائة من السيطرة على CWC.
1993: CWC تحاول بيع ثلاثة من أربعة أقسام لكنها لا تجد مشترين مناسبين.
1995: افتتحت CWC شركة تابعة لشركة European Flight Systems ووسعت أعمال الإصلاح الشامل.
1998: عمليات الاستحواذ الجديدة وعقود الطائرات طويلة الأجل تضيء نظرة CWC.

تطورت شركة Curtiss-Wright Corporation (CWC) ، المبنية على اثنين من أكثر الأسماء شهرة في تاريخ الطيران الأمريكي ، من شركة تصنيع طائرات إلى تكتل شديد التنوع إلى شركة هندسية مركزة. من خلال قسم التحكم في الحركة ، يفتح CWC الأبواب (ويسقط اللوحات) لصانعي الطائرات التجارية والعسكرية. تجعل معالجة المعادن أجنحة الطائرات أقوى ، وتنتج التحكم في التدفق صمامات للغواصات النووية ومحطات الطاقة. تصنع الشركة أيضًا أداة لتحرير ضحايا الحوادث من حطام السيارات ، وقد قامت بعدد من عمليات الاستحواذ لتوسيع أسواقها واكتساب التقنيات ذات الصلة.

تأسست شركة Curtiss-Wright Corporation (CWC) في عام 1929 كشركة قابضة مدرجة في البورصة لمجموعة متنوعة من اهتمامات الطيران ، عندما اندمجت شركة Curtiss Airplane and Motor Corporation و Wright Aeronautical Corporation ، حيث جمعت 18 شركة تابعة و 29 شركة تابعة. حاول المصرفيون لسنوات الجمع بين الشركتين المتنافستين ، بدأهما رواد ومخترع الطيران أورفيل وويلبر رايت وجلين إتش كيرتس ، ووضع الاندماج أخيرًا حداً لعقدين من معارك براءات الاختراع بين الأخوين رايت وكيرتس. تم الترحيب بتشكيلها من قبل ممولي وول ستريت باعتبارها أكبر شركة طيران في العالم ، حيث ظهرت لأول مرة بأصول إجمالية تزيد عن 70 مليون دولار وسهم بقيمة 220 مليون دولار حيث دخلت في معركة صناعية مع الشركة المتحدة للطائرات والنقل التي تم إنشاؤها مؤخرًا.

على الرغم من أن اسمها لم يكن له علاقة كبيرة بإنشاء الشركة الجديدة ، إلا أن جلين كيرتس عمل كعضو في اللجنة الفنية للشركة قبل وفاته في عام 1930 ، وهو العام الذي كانت فيه كيرتس كوندور - نسخة مدنية من قاذفة ذات محركين الطائرة - تم تقديمه من قبل بعض شركات الطيران. حافظت شركة Curtiss-Wright على مكانة بارزة في مجال الطيران طوال ثلاثينيات القرن العشرين ، على الرغم من أن صناعة الطيران ظلت صغيرة نسبيًا ووصلت مبيعات الشركة إلى 49 مليون دولار فقط بحلول عام 1939.

في عام 1940 ، أنشأت الشركة قسم Curtiss Propeller ، الذي كان رائدًا للشركة الفرعية Curtiss-Wright Flight Systems ، Inc. التي كانت بمثابة مصدر أساسي للعمل الحكومي بعد دخول الولايات المتحدة الحرب العالمية الثانية ، وأصبحت شركة Curtiss Propeller واحدة من أكبر الأقسام المنفردة. مقاولي الدفاع في العالم. خلال الحرب ، وظفت الشركة 180 ألف عامل وأنتجت 146 ألف مروحة للطائرات ، و 143 ألف محرك طائرة ، وأكثر من 26 ألف طائرة ، حيث أصبحت كيرتس رايت ثاني أكبر مصنع في الولايات المتحدة بمبيعات سنوية تجاوزت مليار دولار على مدى عامين متتاليين. شغّلت محركات كيرتس-رايت غالبية الطائرات الأمريكية التي تم إطلاقها في الحرب العالمية الثانية ، بما في ذلك الطائرة B-29 التي أسقطت أول قنبلة ذرية على اليابان وعجّلت بنهاية الصراع العالمي.

بعد الحرب ، اضطر كيرتس رايت للتعامل مع الانخفاض السريع في العقود العسكرية ، وتم إجراء تخفيضات تشغيلية هائلة حيث بدأت الشركة في تحويل محركات الطائرات العسكرية لاستخدامها في الطائرات التجارية. في عام 1949 ، تمت الإطاحة بجاي فوغان ، الذي كان يدير عمليات الشركة لفترة طويلة ، في تعديل إداري وحل محله روي تي هيرلي ، الذي أصبح رئيسًا ورئيسًا لها. جلب هيرلي سمعة كقطاع تكلفة الإنتاج إلى كيرتس-رايت ، بعد أن شغل منصب نائب رئيس الإنتاج في شركة بنديكس للطيران ومدير التصنيع في شركة فورد موتور.

مع تورط الولايات المتحدة في الحرب الكورية خلال أوائل الخمسينيات من القرن الماضي ، استفادت الشركة مرة أخرى من جولة جديدة من العقود الحكومية لمحركات الطائرات. نتيجة لذلك ، ظلت كيرتس-رايت من بين أكبر عشرة متعاقدين دفاعيين أمريكيين خلال النصف الأول من العقد ، حيث أنتجت محركات نفاثة صاعقة للصواريخ الموجهة ومحركات الطائرات والمراوح ومحاكيات الطيران للجيش.

خلال هذا الوقت ، بدأ Hurley حملة تنويع ضخمة ، بدأت في عام 1951 عندما استحوذت Curtiss-Wright على مصنع في بوفالو ، نيويورك ، حيث بدأت شركة متخصصة في بثق المعادن. اشترت الشركة أيضًا مصنعًا آخر في Carlstadt ، نيو جيرسي ، ليكون بمثابة أساس لقسم إلكترونيات جديد. خلال منتصف الخمسينيات من القرن الماضي ، دخلت كيرتس رايت السوق الكندية من خلال إنشاء شركة فرعية تابعة لشركة كيرتس رايت الكندية المحدودة (أعيدت تسميتها لاحقًا باسم كيرتس رايت الكندية). كما أنشأت الشركة قسمًا للمنتجات العلمية والأبحاث وبدأت في بناء مركز للبحث والتطوير في كويهانا ، بنسلفانيا ، حيث أنشأت مختبرًا للمواد النووية لدعم تطبيقات الدفاع والطاقة الذرية في أوقات السلم.

بحلول نهاية عام 1955 ، ساعدت حملة التنويع في هيرلي في دفع مبيعات كيرتس رايت السنوية من 475 مليون دولار سنويًا إلى أكثر من 500 مليون دولار ، مع تحقيق المبيعات التجارية حوالي 40 في المائة من دخل الشركة. بحلول عام 1956 ، كان لدى كيرتس رايت 16 قسمًا ، وارتفع سهم الشركة إلى 49 قسمًا.

استفادت Curtiss-Wright من عمليات الاستحواذ والتطورات المشتركة مع شركات أخرى لتعزيز أعمالها في مجال المحركات ، واستحوذت على شركة Propulsion Research Corporation و Turbomotor Associates. بدأت الشركة في تطوير محركات ذات فئات منخفضة إلى متوسطة المدى للطائرات والمروحيات والصواريخ. كما تعاونت Curtiss-Wright مع شركة Bristol Airplane لتطوير سلسلة من المحركات التجارية. استمر إنتاج المحرك العسكري للشركة في تكوينه بشكل أساسي من J-65 ، المرخصة في البداية من بريطانيا العظمى ، وكان منتجها التجاري الرئيسي هو محرك المكبس 3350 Turbo Compound ، المستخدم في أسرع طائرات المروحة التجارية في ذلك اليوم.

في عام 1956 ، وافق Curtiss-Wright على إقراض 35 مليون دولار لشركة Studebaker-Packard المتعثرة مالياً وتقديم خدمات إدارية لشركة صناعة السيارات. في المقابل ، باعت شركة Studebaker-Packard شركة Curtiss-Wright التابعة لها ، وهي شركة Aerophysics Development Corporation ، واستأجرت منشآتها في مجال الطيران في أوتيكا ، وميشيغان ، وساوث بيند ، إنديانا ، حيث بدأ كيرتس رايت في إنتاج صاروخ دارت الجديد المضاد للدبابات من الجيش ، الذي ساعد تطوير فيزياء الهواء على تطويره.

في العام التالي ، حصلت شركة Studebaker-Packard على حقوق تصنيع محرك Daimler-Benz من شركة Mercedes-Benz الألمانية مقابل السماح لشركة صناعة السيارات الألمانية بإنتاج طائرة Curtiss-Wright. بعد عامين من إدارة شركة Studebaker-Packard ، أنهت Curtiss-Wright عقدها الإداري مع شركة صناعة السيارات واستحوذت على مصانع South Bend و Utica التي كانت تستأجرها بالإضافة إلى حقوق تصنيع وبيع محركات الديزل Daimler-Benz ومحركات الوقود المتعددة ، وحقن الوقود الأنظمة والمركبات العسكرية والحافلات.

بحلول عام 1957 ، كان حوالي ثلثي مبيعات كيرتس رايت من العقود الحكومية ونحو ثلثي أرباحها من المبيعات غير العسكرية. في سعيها لتوسيع أنشطتها التجارية والابتعاد عن العقود الحكومية ، ركزت الشركة على تطوير معدات الموجات فوق الصوتية ، ومنتجات جديدة لأعمال بثق بوفالو ، والاستخدامات الجديدة لموادها البلاستيكية ، Curon ، التي كان لها تطبيقات مثل بطانة الملابس ، والجدار و أغطية الأرضيات وعازل للصوت والمفروشات وتقليم السيارات والوسائد.

في عام 1958 ، بدأت كيرتس رايت في تشغيل مفاعل أبحاث نووي في منشأتها في كويهانا. كما أنشأت الشركة أيضًا مختبرًا لأبحاث الطاقة الشمسية بالاشتراك مع جامعة نيويورك ، مما أسفر عن اتفاقية مع شركة Hupp Corporation لاستكشاف وتطوير وبيع الأجهزة في مجال الطاقة الشمسية بشكل مشترك ، بما في ذلك أجهزة تخزين الحرارة والطهي. في عام 1959 ، بدأت Curtiss-Wright أيضًا في إنتاج معدات الفحص بالأشعة السينية الصناعية ، والتي تمت إضافتها إلى خطوط معدات مراقبة الجودة ومعدات الفحص وأنظمة القياس الخاصة بالشركة باستخدام تقنيات الموجات فوق الصوتية والتصوير الشعاعي والطاقة النووية. خلال هذا الوقت ، دخلت Curtiss-Wright في أعمال تحريك التربة من خلال الاستحواذ على قسم Continental Copper & amp Steel Industries الذي قام بتصنيع هذه المعدات.

تضمنت التطورات التجريبية لـ Curtiss-Wright مادة رصف طريق سوداء تعتمد على الفحم و'سيارة هوائية 'يمكنها السفر من 6 إلى 12 بوصة فوق الأرض ، بالإضافة إلى محرك احتراق داخلي خفيف الوزن به جزأين متحركين رئيسيين فقط. تم تصميم المحرك الدوار ، الذي أصبح يُعرف باسم Wankel ، لحرق البنزين بطريقة تؤدي إلى قلب دوار ثلاثي الشكل ، بدلاً من قيادة المكابس لأعلى ولأسفل مثل محركات المكبس التقليدية. تم تطوير المحرك بالاشتراك مع NSU Werke من ألمانيا الغربية ، وهو المحرك - الذي حصلت فيه Curtiss-Wright على حقوق عالمية حصرية لاستخدامات الطائرات وحقوق أمريكا الشمالية الحصرية لجميع التطبيقات - نبع من اختراع شركة Felix Wankel الألمانية.

لوحة إدارة في الستينيات

أدت سلسلة من التخفيضات الدفاعية خلال أواخر الخمسينيات من القرن الماضي إلى الإضرار بأعمال تطوير نفاث النفاثة الخاصة بـ Curtiss-Wright ، وبدأت أرباح الشركة في الانخفاض ، حيث انخفضت من 25 مليون دولار في عام 1958 إلى 14.3 مليون دولار في عام 1959 حيث انخفضت المبيعات من 388 دولارًا إلى 329 مليون دولار. في أبريل 1960 ، واجه هيرلي حشدًا عدائيًا في الاجتماع السنوي للشركة وواجه انتقادات بشأن انخفاض الأرباح ، وتقليل الأرباح ، وتعويضات الضباط العالية ، وعدم كفاية المعلومات المتعلقة بالتطورات التجريبية للشركة. استقال هيرلي من منصبه كرئيس ورئيس بعد شهر واحد وحل محله أحد منتقديه الأكثر صوتًا ، تي رولاند بيرنر. كان المحامي الذي أصبح مديرًا في Curtiss-Wright بعد أن قاد معركة بالوكالة تقريبًا ناجحة ضد الإدارة في عام 1948 ، كان بيرنر فعالًا في تغيير عام 1949 الذي أوصل هيرلي في البداية إلى السلطة.

قام بيرنر بسرعة بتجريد كيرتس رايت من عدة أقسام. تبرعت الشركة بمفاعلها النووي لجامعة ولاية بنسلفانيا وباعت منشآتها في ساوث بيند ويوتيكا ، وأعمال البلاستيك في كورون ، ومنشآت أبحاث الساحل الغربي ، وعملية إنتاج مواد الرصف من الفحم. علاوة على ذلك ، تم إغلاق مصنع الشركة في لورانس ، نيو جيرسي ، الذي كان يصنع أجهزة الموجات فوق الصوتية بالإضافة إلى معدات مراقبة الجودة والاختبار ، وتم إسقاط خطط الإنتاج التجاري للسيارة الجوية ، وتوقفت العمليات في كويهانا.

في محاولة لإعادة كيرتس رايت إلى مكانة شركة رائدة في تصنيع محركات الطائرات ، حول بيرنر تركيز الشركة إلى منتجات الدفاع والإلكترونيات. خلال أوائل الستينيات من القرن الماضي ، أنزلت شركة Curtiss-Wright عقود سلاح الجو للمراوح وأجزاء الصواريخ وتحديث محرك J-65 وبدأت في إنتاج أغلفة صواريخ فولاذية لتعزيز الوقود الصلب لمركبات الإطلاق الفضائي Titan III. خلال نفس الفترة ، تم توسيع أعمال الإلكترونيات الخاصة بـ Curtiss-Wright من خلال الاستحواذ على شركات تعمل في تصنيع كاميرات الرادار وأجهزة التحكم في التوقيت الآلي للطائرات والصواريخ ، فضلاً عن تصنيع موصلات لوحات الدوائر المطبوعة للطائرات والصواريخ وأجهزة الكمبيوتر. التطبيقات.

قامت Curtiss-Wright أيضًا بتوسيع أنشطتها في المجالات النووية من خلال الاستحواذ على مصلحة - والسيطرة الكاملة في نهاية المطاف على - Target Rock Corporation ، الشركة المصنعة للمكونات الهيدروليكية والمعدات النووية. قامت Curtiss-Wright أيضًا بتوسيع عملياتها الكندية من خلال الاستحواذ على شركات تعمل في إنتاج المعدات الهيدروليكية لشركات النفط ومنتجات الصلب لصناعات البناء والتعدين.

في عام 1962 ، تلقت الشركة عقد وكالة الطيران الفيدرالية (FAA) لدراسة تقنيات الضاغط والتوربينات والكمبيوتر لمحركات النقل النفاثة الأسرع من الصوت وبدأت في التنافس على عقد حكومي كبير لتطوير وإنتاج محرك طائرة تجارية أسرع من الصوت. خلال منتصف الستينيات من القرن الماضي ، باعت الشركة قسم التجهيزات والمكونات الإلكترونية في وقت كانت تستثمر فيه حوالي 15 مليون دولار من أموالها الخاصة في تطوير محرك طائرة نقل أسرع من الصوت.

خسرت كيرتس رايت عرضها لإنتاج المحرك الأسرع من الصوت ، وبحلول عام 1967 ، تخلت الشركة عن هدف بيرنر لبناء محركات طائرات كاملة ، واختارت أن تصبح موردًا من الدرجة الأولى ، أو مقاولًا من الباطن ، لشركات أخرى تعمل في مجال الطيران والمجالات الأخرى . بحلول ذلك الوقت ، عندما أبرمت كيرتس-رايت عقدًا مع شركة بوينج لتوفير مشغلات طيران لتمديد وسحب اللوحات على جناحي الطائرة النفاثة العملاقة بوينج 747 ، كانت ميكانيكا `` مفصلات الطاقة '' الخاصة بها مستخدمة بالفعل في طائرة أبحاث تفوق سرعة الصوت في أمريكا الشمالية. ، قاذفة مقاتلة من طراز جنرال ديناميك ، وطائرة هليكوبتر من طراز بوينج. استمرت علاقات كيرتس رايت مع العملاء الحكوميين والتجاريين في التحسن ، وبحلول أواخر الستينيات من القرن الماضي ، كانت كيرتس رايت توفر مكونات لحافلة النقل الجوي وطائرة النقل العسكرية التابعة لشركة لوكهيد ، وأصبحت للعديد من شركات الطيران المورد المفضل لمكونات المحركات النفاثة ، طائرات الهليكوبتر والطائرات ، وكذلك مورد المعدات النووية والمنتجات عالية الدقة للشركات في المجالات الصناعية غير الفضائية.

في عام 1968 ، بدأ Curtiss-Wright برنامجًا للتوسع في منشأة بثق Buffalo ، مضيفًا معدات تشكيل وتشكيل جديدة لبناء مكونات الطائرات والفضاء. في ذلك العام ، استحوذت الشركة على شركة Metal Improvement Company، Inc. (MIC) ، وهي شركة رائدة في الصناعة في مجال تقنية الضرب بالرصاص المستخدمة لإنشاء انحناءات هوائية في الطائرات وغيرها من المنتجات. كما تم توسيع عمليات الشركة من خلال الاستحواذ على شركات محلية تعمل في إنتاج أضلاع أجنحة الطائرات وأجزاء هيكل الطائرة ومصنع كندي لمعدات الأشغال المعدنية ولوازم صناعة معالجة الصلب. في عام 1969 ، استحوذت Curtiss-Wright على حصة أغلبية في Dorr-Oliver Inc. ، وهي شركة هندسية صنعت معدات ميكانيكية لمحطات شحن الخطوط الجوية ، اكتسبت Curtiss-Wright في النهاية السيطرة الكاملة على Dorr-Oliver.

دخلت Curtiss-Wright السبعينيات كمنتج لمكونات أو أنظمة لجميع الطائرات النفاثة التجارية الجديدة ذات الجسم العريض ومعظم الطائرات النفاثة ، في وقت أدت فيه التخفيضات في الإنفاق الدفاعي والعسكري إلى عدد أقل من العقود الحكومية. عندما بدأت شركات صناعة السيارات والشركات الأخرى في إظهار اهتمام متزايد بمحرك وانكل الدوار ، بدأ كيرتس رايت في تمديد اتفاقيات الترخيص للمحرك. في عام 1970 ، دفعت شركة جنرال موتورز (GM) 50 مليون دولار للحصول على ترخيص غير حصري لمدة خمس سنوات لتطوير وتصنيع محرك الاحتراق الدوار في أمريكا الشمالية. دعت اتفاقيات الترخيص اللاحقة إلى دفع الإتاوات إلى Curtiss-Wright لجميع مبيعات محركات Wankel بالإضافة إلى رسوم الترخيص. تكثفت التكهنات حول إمكانية تطوير Wankel الأصغر والأخف وزنًا والأكثر قوة. بحلول عام 1972 ، أصبح Wankel أحد أكثر الأسماء شهرة في وول ستريت ، وكان سهم Curtiss-Wright من أكثر الأسهم تذبذبًا وتداولًا.

في عام 1972 ، منحت Curtiss-Wright تراخيص تطوير Wankel لشركة Brunswick ، ​​الشركة المصنعة لخط Mercury للمحركات الخارجية ، وشركة Ingersoll-Rand ، لاستخدامها في مجموعات ضاغط ومضخة ومولدات كهربائية لتلك الشركة. في العام التالي ، أصبحت شركة American Motors Corporation المرخص له السابع لشركة Wankel لـ Curtiss-Wright ، في نفس الوقت تقريبًا الذي أعلنت فيه جنرال موتورز أنها ستقدم المحرك الدوار في طراز Vega لعام 1975. سرعان ما أعادت جنرال موتورز التفاوض بشأن اتفاقية الدفع الخاصة بها مع كيرتس رايت ، بعد تأجيل ظهور وانكل لأول مرة في سياراتها إلى أجل غير مسمى ، مشيرة إلى الصعوبات في الانبعاثات والغاز في الأميال كعوامل تحفيز.

معارك الاستحواذ في السبعينيات

مع انخفاض الاهتمام بـ Wankel ، بسبب مخاوف من انبعاثات الهيدروكربونات ، بدأت Curtiss-Wright في الحصول على أسهم شركة Cenco Inc. ، وهي شركة لتصنيع معدات مكافحة التلوث والإمدادات الطبية ومشغل دور رعاية المسنين والمستشفيات. بحلول يوليو 1975 ، استحوذت Curtiss-Wright على 16 بالمائة من أسهم Cenco. عند علمه أن Cenco متورط في مزاعم تقارير مدققي حسابات احتيالية وكان على وشك الإفلاس ، تولى كيرتس رايت السيطرة على الشركة وعين شيرلي دي برينزفيلد ، رئيس Dorr-Oliver ، كرئيس لـ Cenco. خلال هذا الوقت ، بدأت Teledyne Inc. ، وهي شركة متنوعة لها مصالح في أنظمة التحكم الإلكترونية وأنظمة التحكم في الطيران والتأمين ، في الاستحواذ على أسهم Curtiss-Wright ، وبحلول منتصف عام 1976 ، كانت تمتلك حصة 12٪.

خلال هذا الوقت أيضًا ، كان Curtiss-Wright ينتج مجموعة واسعة من المكونات النووية العسكرية ، ومعدات المناولة النووية ، وأجهزة الأنظمة النووية ، بما في ذلك الصمامات الخاصة والمنظمين وآلات تركيب اللحام. كما بدأت الشركة بنشاط في تطوير المولدات التي تعمل بالتوربينات ، والتي تم بيعها محليًا ودوليًا.

في عام 1978 ، أطلق بيرنر تحديًا بالوكالة للسيطرة على شركة كينيكوت ، أكبر شركة نحاس في البلاد. بعد أن استحوذ بالفعل على حصة 9.9 في المائة في قلق التعدين ، اتهم بيرنر أن كينيكوت قد أهدرت أصولًا في استحواذها على شركة Carborundum بقيمة 567 مليون دولار ، واقترح قائمة معارضة من المديرين الملتزمين ببيع Carborundum وتوزيع العائدات على المساهمين ، بما في ذلك Curtiss -رايت. فاز مديرو كينيكوت في الانتخابات بفارق ضئيل ، لكن القاضي الفيدرالي أمر بإجراء تصويت ثانٍ. لتجنب إعادة الانتخابات ، أقنع كينيكوت توماس دي بارو ، أحد كبار التنفيذيين في شركة إكسون ، للسيطرة على شركة النحاس ، وفي غضون أسبوعين اتفق بارو وبرنر على مجلس إدارة كينيكوت الجديد ، والذي سيعمل خلال ربيع 1981 وسيعطي فصيل بيرنر صوتًا في شؤون شركة التعدين.

على مدار العامين التاليين ، عززت Curtiss-Wright بأكثر من 22 بالمائة من حصتها في Lynch Corporation ، الشركة المصنعة لآلات تشكيل الزجاج وأدوات التدفق التي سيطر عليها Curtiss-Wright لمدة 15 عامًا تقريبًا. دخلت Curtiss-Wright أيضًا سوق المعالجة الحرارية في عام 1980 من خلال الاستحواذ على شركة Diebel Heat Treating ، التي تخدم أسواق السيارات والتنقيب عن النفط والمعدات الزراعية.

بحلول تشرين الثاني (نوفمبر) 1980 ، زادت شركة Curtiss-Wright من حصتها في Kennecott إلى 14.3٪ ، وكانت هدنتها مع الشركة على وشك الانتهاء. وبالتالي ، قدمت شركة النحاس عرضًا للاستحواذ على Curtiss-Wright ، مما أدى إلى جولة ثانية من حرب الشركات. استجابت Curtiss-Wright لتهديد Kennecott من خلال الشروع في إعادة شراء أسهمها لمنع محاولات الاستحواذ ، مما حفز عرض Kennecott لشراء أسهم Curtiss-Wright المعلقة. نتيجة لذلك ، استحوذ Kennecott على ما يقرب من 32 في المائة من Curtiss-Wright وتجاوز Teledyne كأكبر مساهم في Curtiss-Wright ، على الرغم من عدم تحقيق هدفه للسيطرة على الأغلبية. في يناير 1981 ، وقع كينيكوت وكيرتس رايت اتفاقية هدنة لمدة عشر سنوات وباع كيرتس رايت شركة كينيكوت التابعة لها في دور أوليفر وأسهمها في أسهم كينيكوت في المقابل ، ومنح كينيكوت كيرتس رايت 168 مليون دولار وأسهم كيرتس رايت لقد احتفظت بها ، والتي ساعدت ، جنبًا إلى جنب مع الأسهم التي تم طرحها في عملية إعادة الشراء الذاتية لشركة Curtiss-Wright ، على منح Teledyne أكثر من 50 بالمائة من السيطرة على Curtiss-Wright.

إعادة التشكيل في الثمانينيات والتسعينيات

ساعد بيع Curtiss-Wright لشركة Cenco - مما أدى إلى أرباح 9.8 مليون دولار - إلى جانب مكاسب قدرها 52 مليون دولار من بيع أسهم Dorr-Oliver و Kennecott في دفع أرباح Curtiss-Wright لعام 1981 إلى 85 مليون دولار. بعد ذلك ، بدأت الشركة في الاستثمار في شركة ويسترن يونيون ، حيث حصلت على حصة تبلغ 21.6 في المائة في قطاع الاتصالات. أثبت هذا الاستثمار أنه غير ناجح ، لكن كيرتس رايت خسر 42 مليون دولار على الشركة ، ومع انخفاض إجمالي أرباحها في عام 1984 إلى 1.9 مليون دولار - بانخفاض من 18.5 مليون دولار في العام السابق - باعت الشركة حصتها في ويسترن يونيون. خلال هذا الوقت أيضًا ، تخلت Curtiss-Wright عن آمالها في Wankel ، حيث باعت أعمالها في محرك الاحتراق الدوار إلى Deere & amp Company بعد فشلها في اكتشاف تطبيق تجاري للمحركات.

في عام 1986 ، تلقى Curtiss-Wright عقدًا للقوات الجوية يزيد عن 40 مليون دولار لتوفير مشغلات رفرف الجناح للطائرة F-16 ، مما أدى إلى استمرار أعمال المشغل F-16. في العام التالي ، أُجبرت كيرتس رايت على طرد العديد من كبار المديرين التنفيذيين في شركة Target Rock بعد اكتشاف مخطط اختلاس أدى إلى توجيه الاتهام إلى العديد من الموظفين والموردين السابقين. نظرًا لكونه ضحية للاختلاسات ، لم يتم توجيه تهمة سوء السلوك الإجرامي إلى كيرتس رايت في هذه المسألة ، على الرغم من أن الحكومة بدأت في عام 1990 دعوى قضائية ضد شركة Target Rock Corporation المتعلقة بالاختلاس من قبل مسؤولي Target Rock السابقين وإساءة معاملتهم المزعومة للمقاولين الفرعيين الحكوميين.

خلال أواخر الثمانينيات ، ظلت مبيعات ودخل كيرتس رايت مستقرة إلى حد ما ، حيث تراوحت بين 21 مليون دولار و 28 مليون دولار في الأرباح و 188 مليون دولار و 212 مليون دولار في المبيعات. في عام 1990 ، قفزت إيرادات الشركة إلى 214 مليون دولار بينما انخفضت الأرباح إلى 6.8 مليون دولار ، ويرجع ذلك في جزء كبير منه إلى 13.8 مليون دولار رسوم بيئية بعد الضرائب تتعلق بتلوث التربة والمياه الجوفية في منشأة Wood-Ridge السابقة للشركة. لكن خلال العامين التاليين ، انتعشت الأرباح لتصل إلى أكثر من 21 مليون دولار.

في مارس 1990 ، توفي بيرنر وخلفه شيرلي د. انتخب تشارلز إي إيينغر رئيسًا وانتخب ابن بيرنر ، توماس آر بيرنر ، لعضوية مجلس إدارة الشركة. بعد أقل من أربعة أشهر من وفاة بيرنر ، أعلنت كيرتس رايت توزيع أرباح خاصة بقيمة 30 دولارًا للسهم. كان المستفيدون الرئيسيون هم شركة Unitrin Inc. ، وهي شركة تأمين كانت مملوكة من قبل Teledyne مع حصة 44 بالمائة في Curtiss-Wright ومجموعة Argonaut (المملوكة سابقًا لشركة Teledyne) بفائدة ثمانية بالمائة.

في يوليو 1991 ، استقال إيهينغر من منصب الرئيس وتولى برينزفيلد مهام الرئيس. باعت شركة Curtiss-Wright أعمال توزيع المحركات في فرعها الكندي وأوقفت عملياتها الكندية المتبقية بعد ذلك بوقت قصير.

في أوائل عام 1993 ، أعلنت Curtiss-Wright أنها ستستكشف بيع ثلاث من وحدات أعمالها الأربع ، بما في ذلك شركة تحسين المعادن ، ومجموعة أنظمة الطيران التابعة لها ، ومرفق بثق البافالو. في مايو 1993 ، تم تسليم رئاسة كيرتس رايت إلى ديفيد لاسكي ، نائب الرئيس الأول السابق ، وبعد شهرين ، تخلت كيرتس رايت عن محاولات بيع الشركات التابعة لها لأنظمة الطيران ، حيث لم تلب العروض التوقعات. بحلول أكتوبر ، توصلت Curtiss-Wright إلى اتفاق لبيع أعمال البثق الخاصة بها ، بينما أدت الظروف السيئة في أسواق الطيران التجارية والعسكرية إلى تخلي الشركة عن بيع MIC ، التي حصلت على عروض أقل من مواتية. في نهاية العام ، وافقت شركة تارجت روك التابعة لشركة كيرتس رايت على دفع 17.5 مليون دولار للحكومة لتسوية الدعاوى المتبقية. ساهمت تسوية Target Rock ، إلى جانب رسوم التنظيف البيئي ، في خسارة سنوية قدرها 5.6 ​​مليون دولار نتيجة انخفاض المبيعات البالغة 158.9 مليون دولار.

دخلت Curtiss-Wright عام 1994 سعياً وراء توسيع الأسواق التجارية في مجال مكافحة التلوث ، حيث كانت صمامات التحكم الإلكترونية مناسبة تمامًا لها. واجهت الشركة تخفيضات في إنتاج الطائرات التجارية ، وخفضًا في مستويات الأسعار وشراء القوات الجوية للطائرة المقاتلة Lockheed F-16 ، وإنهاء طلبات الصمامات لبرنامج Navy's Seawolf ، وخفض نشاط الإنتاج في البرنامج النووي للبحرية. بدا مستقبل شركة Curtiss-Wright ، التي تخلت عن بيع الشركات التابعة لها في عام 1993 لصالح القيمة المثلى للمساهمين ، مرهونًا باقتصاديات الأسواق التقليدية للشركة ونجاح الشركة في طرح أسواق جديدة. يبدو أن مستقبل الشركة يعتمد أيضًا على قدرتها ورغبتها في الحفاظ على وحدات أعمالها تحت اسم Curtiss-Wright في عصر يتزايد فيه التوحيد والتخفيضات في صناعات الدفاع والطيران.

بعد خسارة 5.6 مليون دولار في عام 1993 ، سجلت شركة CWC أرباحًا صافية قدرها 19 مليون دولار على إجمالي إيرادات بلغت 166 مليون دولار في عام 1994. ظلت هذه الأرقام ثابتة لعام 1995. في ذلك الوقت ، شكلت العقود الحكومية حوالي 35 بالمائة من أعمال الشركة. أثرت التخفيضات العسكرية ، بشكل أساسي على برنامج F-16 والصمامات العسكرية ، على قطاعي الطيران والفضاء. كما نجحت الشركة في تحمل تكاليف التطوير المتعلقة ببرامج Lockheed-Martin F-22 الجديدة ، و McDonnell Douglas F / A-18 E / F ، و Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey. كما زودت طائرات الهليكوبتر العسكرية سيكورسكي بلاك هوك وسيهوك.

فازت CWC ببعض العقود التي لم تكن المورد الأصلي لها ، كما هو الحال في العديد من خطوط طائرات Boeing ، في حين قدمت شركة Metal Improvement Company التابعة لها خدمات تشكيل صغيرة لشركة Airbus و McDonnell Douglas. باعت CWC منشأة بثق بافالو في يونيو 1995. على الرغم من تجاوز تكلفة الصمامات النووية التجارية ، أظهر القطاع الصناعي تحسنًا.

تم افتتاح فرع أوروبي ، Curtiss-Wright Flight Systems / Europe ، في عام 1995. وشكلت الأعمال الخارجية ، التي نمت بشكل ملحوظ ، 18 بالمائة من المبيعات و 34 بالمائة من الأرباح في عام 1996. كما افتتحت الشركة أيضًا مرافق إطلاق النار في بلجيكا وألمانيا. وسعت شركة CWC أعمالها في مجال الإصلاح والإصلاح ، مستفيدة من اتجاه شركات الطيران في إبقاء الطائرات في الخدمة لفترة أطول. اشترت وحدة خدمة الملحقات Aviall، Inc. ومقرها ميامي مقابل حوالي 17 مليون دولار. ضاعفت الشركة قدرة مصنعها للفضاء في شيلبي بولاية نورث كارولينا.

بلغت المبيعات 219 مليون دولار في 1997 و 249 مليون دولار في 1998. أعلنت الشركة عن عقد آخر مدته عشر سنوات مع شركة British Aerospace Airbus لمعالجة الأسطح المعدنية للأجنحة. في المنزل ، عززت الشركة عمليات نظام التشغيل في مصنعها في شيلبي بسبب التخفيضات العسكرية ، بينما استمر المصنع في فيرفيلد ، نيو جيرسي في التعامل مع الإدارة والهندسة والاختبار للبرامج العسكرية.

أعلنت شركة Boeing عن تباطؤ في الإنتاج في أواخر عام 1998. توقعت شركة CWC حدوث تداعيات فورية قليلة ، وسرعان ما أعلنت الشركة عن اتفاقية جديدة مدتها ثماني سنوات لأنظمة التحكم في الطيران مع شركة Boeing. كما تمت دعوتها لتجهيز نموذجين أوليين في برنامج Boeing's Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle. في غضون أشهر ، أعلنت شركة CWC عن عقد مدته عشر سنوات لتوفير معالجات معدنية متعرجة لطائرة Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey tiltrotor ومشتقاتها التجارية. (انضمت أيضًا إلى شركة Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation في مشروع أداة إنقاذ.)

بلغ متوسط ​​العقود الحكومية أقل من 20 في المائة من المبيعات في أواخر التسعينيات حيث سعت CWC إلى تقنيات وأسواق جديدة. استحوذت شركة Curtiss-Wright Flight Systems على SIG-Antriebstechnik GmbH ، وهي وحدة تكنولوجيا القيادة التابعة لمجموعة SIG Swiss Industrial Company Group ، في أوائل عام 1999. واستخدمت منتجاتها بشكل أساسي في السفن التجارية البحرية والقطارات عالية السرعة والمركبات العسكرية. في يونيو ، استحوذت CWC على Metallurgical Processing ، وهي شركة معالجة حرارية للسيارات والصناعية مقرها في فورت واين ، إنديانا. في الشهر التالي ، اشترت أعمال التحكم في التدفق من Teledyne Fluid Systems.

ارتفعت المبيعات السنوية ، التي بلغت 293 مليون دولار ، بنسبة 18 في المائة في عام 1999. وارتفع صافي الأرباح بنحو 30 في المائة إلى 39 مليون دولار. ارتفعت مبيعات التحكم في الحركة بنسبة 18 في المائة لتصل إلى 124 مليون دولار ، ويرجع ذلك أساسًا إلى الاستحواذ على تقنية القيادة وزيادة إنتاج الطائرات التجارية في بوينج. بعد عام لافت في عام 1998 ، تراجعت مبيعات Metal Treatment قليلاً إلى 106 مليون دولار. أظهر قطاع التحكم في التدفق في CWC أكبر تحسن ، حيث قفزت المبيعات بنسبة 71 في المائة لتصل إلى 65 مليون دولار.

عينت Forbes شركة Curtiss-Wright Corporation كواحدة من أفضل 200 شركة صغيرة في أمريكا في عام 1999. تقاعد ديفيد لاسكي في أبريل 2000 وخلفه Martin R. Benante في منصب الرئيس التنفيذي ورئيس مجلس الإدارة. كان Lasky مع الشركة 38 عامًا وانضم إليها Benante في عام 1978.

الشركات التابعة الرئيسية: شركة Curtiss-Wright Flight Systems Inc. Metal Improvement Company Inc. شركة Curtiss-Wright Flow Control Corporation شركة Curtiss-Wright Flow Control Service Corporation شركة Curtiss-Wright Flow Control Company كندا Curtiss-Wright Flight Systems Europe A / S (الدنمارك) Curtiss-Wright شركة المبيعات الأجنبية (باربادوس) Curtiss-Wright Antriebstechnik GmbH (سويسرا).

التقسيمات الرئيسية: التحكم في تدفق معالجة المعادن.

المنافسون الرئيسيون: Parker Hannifin Corp. Aeroquip-Vickers Inc. Telair International Inc. Rexroth Corp.

كارلي وويليام م.
Combs, Harry, and Martin Caidin, Kill Devil Hill: Discovering the Secret of the Wright Brothers, Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1979 Englewood, Colo.: TernStyle, 1986.
'Curtiss-Wright Engine Has Only 2 Moving Parts,' Wall Street Journal, November 24, 1959, p. 4.
'Curtiss-Wright Redefines Itself,' Aerospace Daily, December 10, 1998, p. 388.
'Curtiss-Wright Sees Its Earnings Growth Continuing This Year,' Wall Street Journal, February 18, 1969, p. 8.
'Curtiss-Wright, Studebaker-Packard Paths Marked by Mergers in Plane, Auto Fields,' Wall Street Journal, August 6, 1956, p. 4.
Eltscher, Louis R., and Edward M. Young, Curtiss-Wright: Greatness and Decline, New York: Twayne, 1998.
'Facing Reality,' Forbes, November 15, 1967, pp. 24-25.
'Hurley Gives Up Curtiss-Wright Posts Berner, a Director, Is Named Chairman,' Wall Street Journal, May 26, 1960, p. 9.
'Kennecott and Curtiss-Wright End Corporate Battle by Agreeing to 10-Year Truce Involving $280 Million,' Wall Street Journal, January 29, 1981, p. 3.
Lee, Loyd E., review of Curtiss-Wright: Greatness and Decline, by Louis R. Eltscher and Edward M. Young, in Business History Review, Autumn 1999, pp. 533-35.
Lavelle, Louis, 'Curtiss-Wright To Lay Off 90 Employees from Essex County, NJ Plant,' The Record (Hackensack, New Jersey), November 19, 1998.
Lenckus, Dave, 'Benefit Termination Not Unlawful: Ruling,' Business Insurance, May 18, 1998, pp. 3f.
Martin, Richard, 'Wondrous Wankel: Engine Not Only Drives Vehicles, But It Also Puts Stocks into Orbit,' Wall Street Journal, June 16, 1972, pp. 1, 25.
Shao, Maria, 'Kennecott's Battle with Curtiss-Wright Involves Ambitions, Strategies and Money,' Wall Street Journal, January 5, 1981, p. 19.
Stevens, Charles W., 'Curtiss-Wright Picks Top Officers After Berner Death,' Wall Street Journal, March 23, 1990, p. C18.
Tannenbaum, Jeffrey A., 'Curtiss-Wright Slates Payout of $30 a Share,' Wall Street Journal, July 13, 1990, p. C9.
'The Well-Deserved Decline of Curtiss-Wright,' Forbes, November 15, 1967, pp. 24-26.

المصدر: الدليل الدولي لتاريخ الشركة ، المجلد. 35. St. James Press, 2001.


Curtiss XP-11 - History

Curtiss-Wright, perhaps best known as the manufacturer of the legendary P-40 Warhawk fighter plane, was the largest aviation company and the second largest company in the world (behind only General Motors) during World War II.

These photos are from the Life Magazine Archive, taken by photographer Dmitri Kessel during the winter/spring of 1941 (likely March or April) at Buffalo, NY.

Curtiss-Wright was headquartered and had most airframe engineering and production facilities at Buffalo. Curtiss, along with several other aircraft companies such as Bell and Consolidated, effectively turned the city into the center of the U.S. aircraft industry from World War I through World War II.

This set contains three aircraft, mainly the P-40 (B or C variants) "Warhawk" / "Tomahawk" / "Kittyhawk" and the O-52 "Owl," (both produced by Curtiss at the Kenmore Avenue Plant), as well as a few incidental photos of the SBC-4 "Helldiver." Also pictured are flights over the Buffalo area, and several photos of Curtiss' visibly makeshift Buffalo Airport facilities, before the huge Genesee Street Plant was completed there later in the war.

The set clearly shows a company frantic to fill both domestic and Lend-Lease orders during early 1941, well before the United States became directly involved in World War II (at the very end of that year, after Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941).

In many of the photos, aircraft are shown being assembled outside—even, apparently, during the late winter or early spring. This is a telling indication of the huge demand and Curtiss' lagging production capacity at that time. Never had the world needed aircraft so quickly and in such large numbers, and not since World War I had aircraft been produced in any significant quantity.

In fact, between Curtiss-Wright and Bell Aircraft, more airplanes were built in Buffalo in 1940-1942 than the rest of the U.S. aircraft industry combined. These two Buffalo firms helped win the war by keeping the Allies in the fight during the tenuous years before the U.S. fully entered the conflict.

© Time Inc. For personal non-commercial use only. Photos can be found online at: images.google.com or at www.life.com. (Search using both "Curtiss" and "Buffalo" keywords at both sites.)

ملحوظات: I have attempted to correct any irregularities in the originally posted photos. You may notice the occasional 'Life' logo is shown backwards or upside-down. This is intentional. Many of the originally posted photos were backwards or otherwise mis-oriented. In addition, captions were often inaccurate, so these were corrected where possible—and I've liberally added my own comments. Hope you enjoy!


Bugatti Model 100P Racer

Ettore Bugatti was born in Milan, Italy on 15 September 1881. In 1909, he founded his own automobile company in Molsheim, in the Alsace region. The Alsace region was controlled by the German Empire until 1919, when control returned to France. The Bugatti race cars were incredibly successful in the 1920s and 1930s, collectively wining over 2,000 races. During that time period, Bugatti enjoyed seeing the small machines that bore his name defeat the larger and more powerful machines of his major rivals: the German vehicles from Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union.

The elegant lines of the Bugatti 100P are well displayed in this image. (Hugh Conway Jr. image)

In 1936, Bugatti began to consider the possibility of building an aircraft around two straight eight-cylinder Bugatti T50B (Type 50B) engines, very similar to the engines that powered the Bugatti Grand Prix race cars. This aircraft would be used to make attempts on several speed records, most importantly, the 3 km world landplane speed record, then held by Howard Hughes in the Hughes H-1 Racer at 352.389 mph (567.115 km/h). Bugatti turned to Louis de Monge, a Belgian engineer, to help design the aircraft, known as the Bugatti Model 100P.

Bugatti 100P general arrangement drawing based off the original drawings by Louis de Monge. Note the arrangement of the power and cooling systems.

Before construction of the Bugatti 100P began, Germany demonstrated what if felt was its aerial superiority by setting a new 3 km world landplane speed record at 379.63 mph (610.95 km/h) in a Messerschmitt Bf 109 (V13) on 11 November 1937. Bugatti disliked Nazi-Germany and was very interested in beating their record. Bugatti and de Monge continued to develop the 100P for an attempt to capture the 3 km record from Germany.

The Bugatti 100P was one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built. With the exception of engine exhaust ports, the 25 ft 5 in (7.75 m) fuselage was completely smooth. The aircraft employed wood monocouque “sandwich” construction in which layers of balsa wood were glued and carved to achieve the desired aerodynamic shape. Hardwood rails and supports were set into the balsa wood to take concentrated loads at stress points, like engine mounts and the canopy. The airframe was then covered with tulipwood strips, which were then sanded and filled. Finally, the aircraft was covered with linen and doped. The Bugatti 100P stood 7 ft 4 in (2.23 m) tall and weighed 3,086 lb (1,400 kg).

The 100P had a 27 ft (8.235 m), one-piece wing that was slightly forward-swept. The wing had a single box spar that ran through the fuselage. The wing was constructed in the same fashion as the fuselage and housed the fully retractable and enclosed main gear. The wing featured a multi-purpose, self-adjusting flap system (U.S. patent 2,279,615). Both the upper and lower flap surfaces automatically moved up or down to suit the speed of the aircraft and the power setting (manifold pressure) of the engines. At high manifold pressure and very low airspeed, the flaps set themselves to a takeoff position. At low airspeed and low power, the flaps dropped into landing position, and the landing gear was automatically lowered. In a dive, the flaps pivoted apart to form air brakes.

Image of the nearly complete Bugatti 100P still under construction in Paris. The cooling-air inlet in the butterfly tail can be easily seen.

The Bugatti tail surfaces consisted of two butterfly units and a ventral fin at 120-degree angles (French patent 852,599). They were constructed with the same wood “sandwich” method used on the fuselage and wing. The tip of the ventral fin incorporated a retractable tail skid. For cooling, air was scooped into ducts in the leading edges of the butterfly tail and ventral fin. The air was turned 180 degrees, flowed into a plenum chamber in the aft fuselage, and passed through a two section radiator (one section for each engine) located behind the rear engine. The now-heated air again turned 180 degrees and exited out the fuselage sides into a low pressure area behind the trailing edge of the wings. The high pressure at the intake and low pressure at the outlet created natural air circulation that required no fans or blowers (U.S. patent 2,268,183).

The two Bugatti T50B straight eight-cylinder engines were specially made for the 100P aircraft. The engine crankcases were made of magnesium to reduce weight, and each engine used a lightweight Roots-type supercharger feeding two downdraft carburetors. The T50B had a bore of 3.31 in (84 mm) and a stroke of 4.21 in (107 mm), giving a total displacement of 289 cu in (4.74 L). Twin-overhead camshafts actuated the two intake and two exhaust valves for each cylinder. The standard T50B race car engine produced 480 hp (358 kW) at 5,000 rpm. An output of 450 hp (336 kW) at 4,500 rpm is usually given for the 100P’s engines however, de Monge stated the engines planned for the 100P were to produce 550 hp (410 kW) each. The engines were situated in tandem, behind the pilot. The front engine was canted to the right and drove a drive shaft that passed by the pilot’s right side. The rear engine was canted to the left and drove a drive shaft that passed by the pilot’s left side. The two shafts joined into a common reduction gearbox just beyond the pilot’s feet. The gearbox allowed each engine to drive a metal, two-blade, ground-adjustable Ratier propeller. Together, the two propeller sets made a coaxial contra-rotating unit. From the gearbox, the rear propeller shaft (driven by the front engine) was hollow, and the front shaft (driven by the rear engine) rotated inside it (U.S. patent 2,244,763).

Image of the two T50B engines in the Bugatti 100P while at the Ermeronville estate. Note the radiator at left , how the engines are canted within the fuselage, and how the exhaust ports on the front engine protrude through the fuselage.

Once the new design was finalized in 1938, construction of the 100P was begun at a high quality furniture factory in Paris. While construction proceeded, it was obvious that war would break out soon. France did not have any fighters that could match the performance of their German counterparts. The French Air Ministry felt the 100P could be developed into a light pursuit or reconnaissance fighter and awarded a contract to Bugatti in 1939. This fighter was to be equipped with at least one gun mounted in each wing, an oxygen system, and self-sealing fuel tanks. Most aspects of the fighter are unknown, but it is possible that it was larger than the 100P and incorporated 525 hp (391 kW) T50B engines installed side-by-side in the fuselage driving six-blade coaxial contra-rotating propellers with a 37-mm cannon firing through the propeller hub. Because of France’s surrender, the aircraft never progressed beyond the initial design phase.

The Bugatti 100P, finally in all its glory after being completely restored by the Experimental Aircraft Association. Note the fairing for the rear engine ‘s exhaust ports above the wing. (Hugh Conway Jr. image)

Bugatti’s contract included a bonus of 1 million francs if the 100P racer captured the world speed record which the Germans had raised to 463.919 mph (746.606 km/h) with a Heinkel He 100 (V8) on 30 March 1939 and raised again to 469.221 mph (755.138 km/h) with a Messerschmitt Me 209 (V1) on 26 April 1939. Bugatti and de Monge felt the 100P was capable of around 500 mph (800 km/h). In addition, a smaller version of the racer, known as the 110P, was planned it featured a 5 ft (1.525 m) reduced wingspan of 22 ft (6.7 m). The 110P was to have the same engines as the 100P, but the top speed was estimated at 550 mph (885 km/h). However, other sources indicate these figures were very optimistic, and the expected performance was more around 400 mph (640 km/h) for the 100P and 475 mph (768 km/h) for the 110P.

The 100P was nearly complete when Germany invaded France. As the Germans closed in on Paris in June 1940, the Bugatti 100P and miscellaneous parts, presumably for the 110P, were removed from the furniture factory and loaded on a truck. The 100P was taken out into the country and hidden in a barn on Bugatti’s Ermeronville Castle estate 30 mi (50 km) northeast of Paris.

Bugatti 100P on display at the EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The cooling air exit slots on the left side of the aircraft can be seen on the wing trailing edge fillet. Also note the tail skid on the ventral fin.

Ettore Bugatti died on 21 August 1947 with the 100P still stashed away in Ermeronville. The aircraft was purchased by M. Serge Pozzoli in 1960 but remained in Ermeronville until 1970 when it was sold to Ray Jones, an expert Bugatti automobile restorer from the United States. Both Pozzoli and Jones offered the 100P to French museums but were turned down. Jones acquired the 100P with the intent to complete the aircraft however, that goal could not be completed due to missing parts. Jones had the two Bugatti T50B engines removed from the airframe before everything was shipped to the United States. Dr. Peter Williamson purchased the airframe and moved it to Vintage Auto Restorations in Ridgefield, Connecticut in February 1971 to begin a lengthy restoration. Les and Don Lefferts worked on the project from 1975 to 1979. Louis de Monge was now living in the United States and assisted with some aspects of the restoration work before he passed away in 1977. In 1979, the unfinished 100P was donated to the Air Force Museum Foundation with the hope of having the restoration completed and the aircraft loaned to a museum for display. However, the aircraft sat until 1996 when it was donated to the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and finally underwent a full restoration. The restored, but engineless, Bugatti 100P is currently on display at the EAA AirVenture Museum.

The original engines out of the Model 100P were reportedly not the final version of the engines intended for the actual speed record run. Both engines still exist and are installed in Bugatti automobiles. The front engine is installed in Ray Jones’ 1937 Type 59/50B R Grand Prix racer, and the rear engine is installed in Charles Dean’s 1935 Type 59/50B Grand Prix racer. Since January 2009, Scotty Wilson has led an international team, including Louis de Monge’s grand-nephew, Ladislas de Monge, to build a flying replica of the Bugatti 100P in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Piloted by Wilson, the Bugatti 100P replica flew for the first time on 19 August 2015. Tragically, Scotty Wilson was killed when the replica crashed during a test flight on 6 August 2016.

Bugatti 100P on display at the EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Simply one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built.


Curtiss H-1640 Chieftain Aircraft Engine

In April 1926 the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company initiated a design study for a 600 hp (447 kW), air-cooled aircraft engine. The engine was to have minimal frontal area while keeping its length as short as possible. Configurations that were considered but discarded were a 9-cylinder single-row radial, a 14-cylinder two-row radial, a 12-cylinder Vee, and a 16-cylinder X. The selected design was a rather unusual 12-cylinder engine that Curtiss referred to as a “hexagon” configuration. This engine was built as the Curtiss H-1640 Chieftain.

The Curtiss H-1640 Chieftain “hexagon” or “inline-radial” engine. The image on the left was taken in 1927 note “Curtiss Hexagon” is written on the valve covers. In front of each cylinder pair is the housing for the vertical shaft that drove the overhead camshafts. The image on the right was taken in 1932 and shows a more refined engine with “Curtiss Chieftain” written on the valve covers. Note the additional cooling fins surrounding the spark plugs. In both images, the baffle at the rear of each exhaust Vee forced cooling air into the intake Vee.

The Curtiss H-1640 was designed by Arthur Leak and Arthur Nutt. The Chieftain’s “hexagon” design was a combination of a radial and Vee engine. The intent was to combine the strengths of both engine configurations: the light and short features of a conventional radial with the narrow and high rpm (for the time) of a conventional Vee engine.

The Chieftain was arranged as if it were a 12-cylinder Vee engine cut into three sections, each being a four-cylinder Vee. The Vee engine sections were then positioned in a radial form 120 degrees apart (each cylinder bank being 60 degrees apart). The end result was a two-row, twelve-cylinder, inline radial engine. The H-1640 resembled a conventional radial engine except that the second cylinder row was directly behind the first.

An engine installation comparison of the air cooled Chieftain-powered XO-18 Falcon at left and a liquid-cooled D-12-powered Falcon at right. Note that while the Chieftain is a wider engine, it blends well with the fuselage and is shorter and not as tall as the Curtiss D-12.

Each four-cylinder Vee section had the cylinder exhaust ports on the inside of the Vee and the intake ports on the outside. Each inline cylinder pair had its own intake runner and dual-overhead camshafts that were enclosed in a common valve cover. The camshafts were driven via a single vertical shaft from the front of the engine. There were four valves per cylinder.

Cooling air was directed through each four-cylinder section’s exhaust Vee here it met a baffle fitted to the rear of the engine and attached to the cowling. This baffle deflected the air and forced it to flow between the inline cylinders and behind the rear cylinder. The air then flowed into the intake Vee that was blocked off at the front. The air exited the cowling via louvers over the intake Vee.

The Curtiss O-1B Falcon that was redesignated XO-18 while it served as the test-bed for the Chieftain engine. Note the exposed valve covers and the exhaust stacks protruding through the engine cowling.

The pistons were aluminum and operated in steel cylinder barrels that were screwed and shrunk into cast aluminum cylinders with integral cooling fins. From U.S. patent 1,962,246 filed by Leak in 1931, it appears that the Chieftain’s connecting rods consisted of two halves that were bolted together. Each half was made up of one master rod and two articulating rods.

The H-1640 Chieftain had a bore of 5.625 in (143 mm) and a stroke of 5.5 in (140 mm), giving a total displacement of 1,640 cu in (26.9 L). The engine’s maximum diameter was 45.25 in (1.15 m). However, a special cowling was used, cut to allow the valve covers and exhaust stacks to protrude through, reducing the diameter of the cowling to 39 in (0.99 m). The engine was 52.3 in (1.33 m) long and weighed 900 lb (408 kg). The Chieftain had a 5.2 to 1 compression ratio and was rated at 600 hp (447 kW) at 2,200 rpm but developed 615 hp (459 kW). When the engine was pressed to 2,330 rpm, it produced 653 hp (487 kW). It was equipped with a centrifugal-type supercharger that allowed the engine to maintain sea-level power up to 12,000 ft (3,658 m). All Chieftain engines built were direct drive but geared versions had been planned. In addition, some design work on a four-row, 24-cylinder version of 1,200 hp (895 kW) had been done.

Side view of the Thomas-Morse XP-13 Viper with the Curtiss Chieftain engine and revised cowl. Not the louvers for the cooling air to exit the cowling.

Because the engine had an even number of cylinders per each row, a unique firing order was developed that alternated between the front and rear rows. When the engine was viewed from the rear, the cylinders were numbered starting with the cylinder bank at the 9 o’clock position and proceeding clockwise around the engine. The rear cylinder row had odd numbers, and the front cylinder row was even so that the rear cylinder of the cylinder bank at 9 o’clock was number 1 and the front was number 2. The firing order was initially 1, 10, 5, 7, 4, 11, 8, 3, 12, 2, 9, 6 but was later changed to 1, 10, 5, 2, 9, 11, 8, 3, 12, 7, 4, 6 in an effort to smooth out the engine.

The H-1640 Chieftain was first run in 1927 and flown in a modified Curtiss O-1B Falcon, redesignated XO-18, in April 1928. The Chieftain-powered test-bed aircraft was found to out-climb and have a higher ceiling than the standard liquid-cooled Curtiss D-12-powered Falcon. In addition, the top-speed of the two aircraft was the same, which was unheard of for that time period when liquid-cooled aircraft were faster than their air-cooled counterparts. However, the engine suffered cooling issues, and the aircraft was modified back to an O-1B in July 1930.

A comparison of the original cowling on the XP-13 at left and the updated cowling at right. The front of the cowling has been extended and angled out. The block-off plates in between the openings have been angled to funnel air into the enlarged openings.

Thomas-Morse also responded to the Army’s interest in using the Curtiss H-1640. The company’s Viper fighter prototype was built to use the Chieftain engine. This aircraft was tested at Wright Field in June 1929 and given the designation XP-13. Engine overheating was encountered, and a revised cowling was tried in an effort to provide adequate cooling for the H-1640. The new cowling had enlarged openings, and the blocked off sections were angled to force more air into the openings. However, over-heating persisted. The XP-13 was tested until September 1930, when a Pratt & Whitney R-1340C engine was installed and the aircraft redesignated XP-13A. Even though this engine was not as powerful, it was lighter and did not suffer the cooling issues present with the Chieftain. The XP-13A was found to be 15 mph (24 km/h) faster than the Chieftain-powered XP-13. Curtiss had planned to produce the Viper under the designation XP-14, but the H-1640 engine was lacking support so no aircraft were built.

Another Chieftain was installed in the Navy’s second Curtiss XF8C-1 prototype in 1930. The H-1640-powered aircraft was known as the Curtiss XOC3. It too suffered from engine over-heating. The Chieftain engine remained installed in the XOC3 until the aircraft was removed from the Navy’s inventory in April 1932.

Detail view of the revised cowling on the Chieftain-powered Thomas-Morse XP-13. The image on the left illustrates the angle of the block-off plates. Note the six, instead of eight, exhaust stacks of the upper cylinders. The last two stacks are combined and exit from a single stack aft of the cowling.

In October 1928, the Army ordered three Curtiss P-6 Hawk aircraft to be powered by the H-1640 engine and designated them XP-11. However, shortly after the order was placed, the engine’s cooling trouble became known and the engine’s development ceased. The aircraft were never built with the Chieftain engine.

A total of eight H-1640 engines were made with six going to the Air Corps and two to the Navy. While the Chieftain’s design may have been problematic, the event that directly led to its lack of support and ultimate abandonment was the merger of Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company with Wright Aeronautical in July 1929. After the merger, the liquid-cooled engines were provided by Curtiss and the air-cooled engines from Wright. There was no longer a need for the Chieftain, an air-cooled engine of rather dubious design. However, the concept of a hexagonal engine would be revisited with the Wright H-2120, and other hexagonal engines include the SNCM 137, the Junkers Jumo 222, and the Dobrynin series of aircraft engines..

Reportedly, at least one Curtiss H-1640 Chieftain survives and is in storage at the National Air and Space Museum’s Garber Facility in Silver Hill, Maryland.

The second Curtiss XF8C-1 re-engined with the H-1640 Chieftain and redesignated XOC3.

Share:

مثله:


Curtiss Model E flying boat

سيراجع محررونا ما قدمته ويحددون ما إذا كان ينبغي مراجعة المقالة أم لا.

Curtiss Model E flying boat, aircraft designed and built by American aeronautics pioneer Glenn Hammond Curtiss and first flown in 1912. Although the French aviation pioneer Henri Farman had flown off the water in 1910, the Curtiss Model E of 1912 was the first truly successful flying boat. (See also history of flight.)

The Model E followed the development of the standard Model D (1911) and the earliest Curtiss experiments in off-the-water flying (1910–12). Like earlier Curtiss machines, it was a braced biplane featuring interplane ailerons designed to avoid the provisions of the Wright brothers’ patent. The pilot was seated in an early version of the “step hull” with standpipes, features designed to assist in breaking the suction of the water during takeoff. Curtiss successfully patented the hull innovations introduced on the Model E. The final version of the aircraft had a maximum speed of some 52 miles (84 km) per hour.

As initially constructed, the Model E featured a canard, or forward elevator, in addition to the standard elevator at the rear. When it was discovered that the canard created control difficulties, the forward surface was removed. Other alterations were featured in later versions of the Model E. A final, amphibious version featured retractable wheels.


Genesis of the Jenny

Ken Cassens pilots the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome’s Curtiss JN-4H “Jenny” near Rhinebeck, N.Y.

Although generally attributed to aviation pioneer Glenn Curtiss, the iconic JN-4 owes much to an obscure British designer.

For Eddie Rickenbacker, Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart and countless less famous American pilots swept up in the rise of aviation, the Curtiss JN-4 “Jenny” held a special place in their careers, if not their hearts.

After World War I, a surplus Jenny could be had for about $500, allowing many who dreamed of flying to purchase their own airplane. In an age unfettered by aviation regulations and agencies, they were free to roam America’s skies at will, barnstorming and giving rides to eager bystanders to earn a modest living.

Most people associate the Jenny with aviation pioneer Glenn H. Curtiss, but the biplane owes much of its pedigree to British designer Benjamin Douglas Thomas. The two seemed an odd couple. Curtiss had a mercurial temper at times, but was taciturn at others. A compulsive tinkerer, he would scrawl drawings of his ideas on the walls of his shop in Hammondsport, N.Y. His record of achievement was as extensive as the ongoing litigation he faced from the Wright brothers due to alleged patent infringement. Thomas, shy and self-effacing, was a trained engineer who had previously worked for both Avro and Sopwith before Curtiss lured him to the United States in 1914.

The Jenny sprang from an American desire to catch up to the aviation boom that had occurred in Europe prior to WWI. Curtiss sought to create an economical airplane that would be competitive on the world market. In 1913 he developed his first tractor biplane, the Model G. It featured a side-by-side cockpit in a fully enclosed fuselage, ailerons between the wings hinged to the interplane struts and an empennage more characteristic of European aircraft manufacturers, most notably Sopwith.

U.S. Army Signal Corps Brig. Gen. James Allen had corresponded with Curtiss in November 1912, indicating the need for a tractor biplane that met Army specifications. Curtiss told Allen that he was working on such a plane, and finally shipped the G to San Diego, where it was tested and accepted by the Army in June 1913. With an 80-hp engine, it could fly at an average speed of 55 mph and climb to 2,280 feet in 10 minutes. The G was also relatively easy to disassemble and ship, but it was only nominally successful.

The Model H followed and included some important differences—among them Farman- or Sopwith-type ailerons inset in the upper wing’s trailing edge and outboard-angled struts. Its O-type engine delivered 80-90 hp. Accepted by the Signal Corps in December 1913, the sole Model H (not to be confused with Curtiss’ line of Model H flying boats) was termed “clumsy but reliable.”

Ultimately, the G and the H were marginal performers, and both Curtiss and the Army knew it. This was likely the impetus behind Curtiss’ 1913 trip abroad to tour British and European aircraft factories. He wanted to see how they built airplanes and to lay the groundwork for foreign military contracts.

While Curtiss visited the Sopwith Aviation Company at Kingston-on-Thames, a man who was too shy to even introduce himself tagged along. Later, on a rainy London evening, both men fortuitously ducked into a newsstand on the Strand. Thomas noticed Curtiss reading a paper, and he chanced a conversation with the American aviator. He learned that Curtiss was on his way to Russia with hopes of opening a plant there. Curtiss had to make a stop in Paris before continuing to Russia, and he asked Thomas to accompany him on his dime. The Sop­with engineer readily agreed.

As they crossed the Channel, the two men discussed ideas for a new tractor biplane that Curtiss would designate the Model J. In Paris, Curtiss suggested that Thomas resign from Sopwith and work for him on the design. Thomas agreed, and soon set up a tent in his parents’ backyard where he worked feverishly to lay out the J’s design. He drew up plans, made stress and materials calculations and set specifications, pedaling his bike 20 miles roundtrip every time he had blueprints to send off to Hammondsport.


Curtiss’ influence was evident on the Model N, which featured interplane ailerons that he had originally developed to circumvent Wright brothers patents. (Glenn H. Curtiss Museum)

On the other side of the Pond, the blueprints were quickly turned into finished airplane components. Finally, in April 1914, Thomas received a short but sweet cable from Curtiss that simply said, “Come on over.” By early May, Thomas was in New York, never to return to England. Curtiss was pleased to have a British designer on his team in Hammondsport. Thomas could not only help him develop competitive tractor biplanes, but also aid in securing British contracts—it certainly wouldn’t hurt to have a man who had worked for both Avro and Sopwith on the payroll.

That same year, Lieutenant Benjamin D. Foulois took command of the Signal Corps’ 1st Aero Squadron. He standardized aircraft specifications, maintenance and supply. Foulois and the aviators at the Signal Corps Aviation School developed very specific guidelines for a standard squadron airplane: “a two-seat tractor biplane with a dual control system, a minimum speed of 40 mph, and a flying duration of four hours at top speed. The design had to be streamlined and include frictionless controls, a positive driven fuel pump, and a tachometer…the engine had to be easily replaced. Finally, four mechanics had to be able to assemble an airplane in two hours and disassemble and pack it away in one-and-a-half hours.”

Tractor biplanes were on the rise in Europe because of repeated fatal training accidents with pushers in which the pilot was sandwiched between the engine and the ground in a crash. By February 1914, the Army had officially condemned pusher-type aircraft. Two months later, the Curtiss J was ready for testing. With war clouds looming, the timing could not have been better—war meant military contracts.

A visual overview of the Curtiss J reveals the influence of Thomas’ hand, including tandem seating and ailerons attached to the top wing trailing edge. The landing skid, designed to prevent nose-overs, is found on Avro and Sopwith aircraft. Soon after Thomas arrived at Ham­­monds­port, he worked with Curtiss to develop the Model N. As on the J, its interplane and cabane struts were raked slightly forward—a common feature of Sopwith aircraft­—though Curtiss evidently insisted that is also include his outmoded interplane ailerons.

Thomas claimed the N was a reworked iteration of the J, with the same fuselage. Only one was delivered to the Signal Corps in December 1914 out of an order of eight, and it too performed marginally. It had a 100-hp OXX engine, with the wings set at 0 degrees incidence to attain the required speed. In one of the more important design modifications, two of the vertical struts that formed the box girder fuselage were extended to become the cabane struts that secured the upper wing to the fuselage.

The JN series (1-4) was a hybridization of the J and the N, combining the best aspects of each and eventually earning the airplane its iconic Jenny nickname. Apparently this marriage of the two models soured Thomas’ working relationship with Curtiss, finally compelling him to resign. He evidently felt that Curtiss was taking too much credit for the JN, which Thomas considered largely his design. Curtiss’ method of communicating ideas by scrawling drawings on the walls was also too much for him, and the American’s temper didn’t help matters.

By this time, however, Curtiss’ gamble had already paid off. Officials from foreign governments descended on Ham­monds­port seeking military contracts, and the town was transformed almost overnight into a paramilitary community, with augmented security around the Curtiss factory. The response from Britain was so great that Curtiss opened a second factory in Buffalo, N.Y., to handle the demand. صحيفة وول ستريت جورنال reported that in the fiscal year ending October 31, 1915, the Curtiss Aeroplane Company produced more than $6 million in aircraft and engines, mainly for Britain. In December of the same year, Curtiss landed a $15 million contract from the Brit­ish government.

Only a handful of JN-1s were built, and Curtiss moved swiftly to the JN-2, which featured two wings of equal span and the old shoulder-yoke method of aileron control (for both wings) found on his early pushers. The JN-2 was somewhat unstable due to an inadequate power-to-weight ratio and an overly sensitive rudder. That problem was remedied in the JN-3, whose shorter-span bottom wing and ailerons on the upper wing only were most likely inspired by the French. The yoke was replaced with a wheel, and the rudder was actu­ated by a foot-operated bar.


A JN-3 readies for takeoff near Casas Grandes, Mexico, during the punitive expedition against Pancho Villa. (Glenn H. Curtiss Museum)

Eight JN-3s equipped the 1st Aero Squadron when Captain Foulois led it into Mexico in March 1916 as part of Brig. Gen. John J. Pershing’s punitive expedition against Pancho Villa. In contrast to the agile fighters then in combat over Europe, the JN-3’s role was primarily observation and communication. However, the squadron did conduct some experiments in bombardment and the use of machine guns. The JN-3s were still underpowered and unable to climb over Mexico’s Sierra Madres. Due to various mishaps and frustrations over aircraft, logistics and other problems, Foulois left the 1st Aero in September 1916.

By December, Curtiss had introduced the JN-4 and a Canadian-built version known as the “Canuck” to fill orders from the U.S. Army and the Royal Flying Corps in Canada, respectively. The Canuck differed from the American version in that it had four ailerons, differently shaped wings and empennage, and was also lighter. With its dual cockpits and controls and 90-hp Curtiss OX-5 V8 engine, the JN-4 was ideally suited for pilot training.

Introduced in June 1917, the JN-4D incorporated some important improvements. The control wheel was eliminated in favor of the now-standard control stick it had ailerons on the upper wing only, giving it a more docile roll rate and curved cutouts on the inner trailing edges of all four wing panels provided easier cockpit entry and egress as well as improved visibility. For these reasons, the JN-4D was the most widely accepted of the early variants. The U.S. finally had a trainer good enough to be mass-produced, and with the war now on and demand exceeding supply, production shifted into high gear. The need for a reliable biplane trainer was so great that the U.S. Army Air Service leveraged Curtiss to license JN-4D production to six other American companies.

The USAS desired a trainer to bridge the gap between the JN-4D and pursuit/fighter aircraft, which was the genesis of the JN-4H. It featured a 150-hp Hispano-Suiza engine (built in the U.S. under license by Wright Aeronautical), a more robust airframe, an enlarged nose radiator, ailerons on both wings and an upper-wing fuel tank that increased fuel capacity from 21 to 31 gallons. The JN-4H’s top speed was about 80 mph, with a 175-mile range and ceiling around 11,000 feet.

After the war, the U.S. suddenly had hundreds of surplus Jennies it didn’t need. Often employed as mailplanes in the early days of U.S. airmail service beginning in 1918, the Jenny carried slightly less than 300 pounds of mail in a redesigned front seat compartment (see “The Suicide Club,” May 2017).


The JN-4H mounted a 150-hp Hispano-Suiza engine that improved performance. (Glenn H. Curtiss Museum)

Although Charles Lindbergh bought and soloed in a JN-4D in 1923, he trained in the JN-4H when he joined the USAS in 1924. Lindbergh had this to say about it: “…[I]t is doubtful whether a better training ship will ever be built….Jennies were underpowered…somewhat tricky…splintered badly when they crashed…but when a cadet learned to fly one…he was just about capable of flying anything on wings with a reasonable degree of safety.”

The period from 1920 to 1926 was known as the “Jenny Era,” when countless military pilots and others who first learned to fly in a Jenny purchased converted Army-surplus JN-4s and embarked on careers as barnstormers. The Jenny, along with the Standard J-1, was a reasonable stunt plane, and provided a great platform for wing-walking due to its slow speed and numerous struts and wires to hang on to. Many people nationwide got their first taste of flying in a Jenny, thus familiarizing them with aviation and promoting it as a viable form of transportation. The Jenny’s slow, easy motion made it the perfect airplane to ease an apprehensive public into the air.

The end of the Jenny Era came in 1927, when new regulations for airworthiness, maintenance and pilot licensing requirements were implemented—regulations that the Jenny could not meet. By 1930 it was illegal to fly a Jenny in most of the U.S. The vintage airplane movement of the 1950s revived interest in the type, and today Jennies operate under experimental aircraft license status.

Glenn Curtiss’ calculated gam­ble to co-opt a gifted Brit­ish designer to help him launch his tractor biplanes into the global market had paid off. The JN-4 was one of the most successful aircraft of its day, and launched the careers of many aviation luminaries. Subject to Curtiss’ constant tinkering, the JN-4 series spawned variants from A to S. It formed the cornerstone of the U.S. military aviation training program, as well as various flight training schools abroad. After the war, it spurred the first U.S. airmail service and ushered in the barnstorming age. The bitter dividend created by its genesis was the dissolution of the partnership that had made the Jenny possible.

Mark C. Wilkins is a historian, writer and museum professional who is currently working on three books about World War I. Recommended reading: Curtiss: The Hammondsport Era, 1907-1915, by Louis S. Casey Jenny Was No Lady: The Story of the JN-4D, by Jack R. Lincke and Curtiss Aircraft, 1907-1947, by Peter Bowers.

Genesis of the Jenny appeared in the July 2017 issue of Aviation History Magazine. اشترك اليوم!


The Records

Before cars and superbikes held the land speed record, trains were the fastest modes of transportation. In 1907 that all changed, the Curtiss V8 together with the fastest man on Earth claimed the land speed record.

The record was set on January 24 at Daytona Beach, Florida. The Curtiss V8 reached a top speed of 136,3 mph. The Curtiss V8 was faster than anything the world had ever seen back then and received a lot of praise. The record was never accepted officially because of a technicality but it was widely acknowledged in the automotive industry as being legitimate.

The Blitzen Benz took over the record in 1911 but it wasn't until 1930 that a motorcycle was able to beat the record set by the Curtiss V8.



تعليقات:

  1. Arashizahn

    شكرا للمواد المثيرة للاهتمام!

  2. Slayton

    أقترح عليك زيارة موقع يحتوي على كمية كبيرة من المعلومات حول موضوع يثير اهتمامك.

  3. Glendon

    إنه غير محتمل!

  4. Grokora

    عبارة رائعة وهي في الوقت المناسب

  5. Alhmanic

    أهنئ ، الفكرة الرائعة وهي في الوقت المناسب

  6. Mozes

    بيننا نتحدث ، حاول البحث عن إجابة لسؤالك في google.com



اكتب رسالة