علم أصل الكلمة لشارع باين في سان فرانسيسكو

علم أصل الكلمة لشارع باين في سان فرانسيسكو


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

في سان فرانسيسكو ، كاليفورنيا ، ما اسم شارع باين بعد؟

ويكيبيديا http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymologies_of_place_names_in_San_Francisco ومصادر الإنترنت الأخرى حول تسمية شارع SF لا تقدم أي معلومات بخصوص تسمية الشارع هذه.


شارع الصنوبر ، بحيرة الصنوبر ، لوريل ... أقول الطبيعة. بالنسبة للشوارع التي سميت بأسماء الناس ، أود الإشارة إلى هذا:


Streetwise: مدارس سان فرانسيسكو الكاثوليكية

القائمة الفائقة للمدارس الضيقة في سان فرانسيسكو بين الحين والآخر.

Streetwise: مدارس سان فرانسيسكو الكاثوليكية

بواسطة فرانك دنيجان
يوليو 2018

لقد ولت منذ زمن طويل الأيام التي كانت فيها الراهبات يديرن بمفردهن الفصول الدراسية مع أكثر من 50 طالبًا وكانت الرسوم الدراسية 6 دولارات شهريًا /لكل أسرة. اليوم ، لا يوجد سوى عدد قليل من الراهبات اللائي ما زلن يعملن كمدرسات أو مسؤولات. تم إغلاق أو دمج العديد من المدارس الابتدائية الكاثوليكية في الأجزاء الوسطى والشرقية من سان فرانسيسكو ، في حين أن المدارس في ريتشموند وصنسيت التي كانت تضم ما يزيد عن 500 إلى 800 طالب ، لديها الآن معدل تسجيل نصف هذا العدد. تبلغ الرسوم الدراسية السنوية في معظم المدارس الكاثوليكية المحلية من K-8 حوالي 8000 دولار (غالبًا 20000 دولار + على مستوى المدرسة الثانوية) ، مع حصول ما يصل إلى 50 ٪ من الطلاب على خصومات متدرجة لأشقاء متعددين / حاجة مالية. تم تحديد أكثر من نصف الطلاب من قبل عائلاتهم كأطفال ملونين.

هناك 28 مدرسة ابتدائية كاثوليكية تعمل في سان فرانسيسكو اليوم. المعلمون (معظمهم من الرجال والنساء العاديين) حاصلون على درجات البكالوريوس ، وأوراق اعتماد التدريس في كاليفورنيا ، والعديد منهم يمتلكون أيضًا درجات الماجستير. تقبل المدارس الطلاب الكاثوليك وغير الكاثوليك ، وتقدم المساعدة المالية ، وهي مفتوحة للجميع - لم تعد "حدود الأبرشية" التقليدية مطبقة. تضم معظم المدارس مساعدين في الفصول الدراسية ، ومستشارين ، ومتخصصين في التعلم ، وطاقم تقني ، ومعلمي موسيقى ، ومنسقين دينيين ، ومدربي تربية بدنية ، بالإضافة إلى مختبرات للعلوم والكمبيوتر. يقدم العديد من برامج الرعاية الممتدة بعد المدرسة مقابل رسوم إضافية ، وجميعها مختلطة باستثناء ما هو مذكور.

  • دير القلب المقدس: مدرسة K-8 للبنات ومقرها في قصر الفيضان السابق في 2222 برودواي ، وجزء من مدارس القلب المقدس ، وتعود أصلها في سان فرانسيسكو إلى عام 1887.
  • أكاديمية دي ماريلاك: افتتحت المدرسة في عام 2001 في حي تندرلوين المجاور لكنيسة سانت بونيفاس ، وتوفر التعليم المجاني لـ 119 طالبًا في الصفوف 4-8.
  • مدرسة نوتردام دي فيكتوار: تأسست في عام 1924 بجوار الكنيسة التي تحمل الاسم نفسه في شارع بوش ، وتخدم مدرسة K-8 300 طالب مع تعليم يومي باللغة الفرنسية.
  • إستيعاب: افتتحت المدرسة في عام 1938 وكان طاقمها في الأصل من قبل أخوات العرض ، وتوسعت بسرعة ، وبحلول عام 1948 ، أصبحت واحدة من العديد من المدارس الابتدائية الكاثوليكية المحلية التي تضم فصلين لكل صف - ولا تزال تحافظ على هذا التميز ، مع أكثر من 400 طالب في الصفوف K-8.
  • أكاديمية الأب سوير: تم افتتاحها في St. Ignatius College Prep في عام 2017 كمدرسة إعدادية خالية من الرسوم الدراسية للأولاد / البنات المتفوقين في الصف السادس من المجتمعات المحرومة ، وهي تتوسع لتشمل 90 طالبًا (الصفوف 6/7/8) بحلول عام 2019.
  • الاسم المقدس: افتتحت في منطقة Sunset District في عام 1941 كمدرسة K-8 مع Sisters of Mercy ولاحقًا ، Canossian Sisters. يخدم اليوم 315 طالبًا مع هيئة تدريس غير رسمية. تمت إضافة حضانة في عام 2012.
  • أكاديمية ميشن دولوريس: تشكلت من خلال اندماج أكاديمية ميغان فورث الكاثوليكية في عام 2011 (تشكلت نفسها من خلال دمج مدرستين غربيتين إضافيتين في عام 2003 ، القلب المقدس وسانت دومينيك) ، مع مدرسة Mission Dolores لتشكيل الأكاديمية الجديدة. وفقًا لموقع الأكاديمية على الويب ، "يمتد تاريخ المدرسة إلى عام 1852 ، مما يجعلها أطول مدرسة كاثوليكية في سان فرانسيسكو".
  • سيدة الزيارة: واحدة من أحدث المدارس الضيقة في سان فرانسيسكو ، افتتحت Our Lady of the Visitacion في عام 1963 في أبرشية تعود أصولها إلى عام 1907. واليوم ، تخدم مدرسة K-8 267 طالبًا.
  • القديسة آن أوف ذا صن سيت: تأسست مدرسة ما قبل K-8 في عام 1920 ، وتقدم تعليمًا تقليديًا ، بالإضافة إلى دروس في اللغة الكانتونية والماندرين. في عام 2017 ، أصبحت أول مدرسة ابتدائية كاثوليكية محلية تكمل التعديلات المطلوبة في مجال الزلازل / الوصول.

فتيان من الصف السادس في مدرسة سانت آن أوف صن ست الكاثوليكية يقفون على درجات سلم الكنيسة. الأسماء التي تذكرها بات كونين:
الصف العلوي: هانك ميلان ،؟ ، إد هوريهان ، باتريك جارسيا (هنا فقط لمدة 6 أشهر وشخص ملون فقط) ، دونالد بيرس ، جون هيل.
الصف الثالث: جاي فالنتي ، مايك مكوليف ، بينسون ، فينس كيهو ،؟ ، جون مكميلان ، بيل لانغبهن ، واين براس
الصف الثاني: ريتشارد كولين ، جورج شميدت ، جو هيسون ، إد كوك ، جون روجرز ، ريتش سكرامليا ، بوبي ويليامز ، جو كرونين ، روبرت ستيوارت.
الصف الأمامي: جون جينيلا ، جون ماك آرثر ، دان دوبلمان ، بات كونين ، إيدي كروستي ، بيل فوجل ، داني كوين ، جورج ستانلي ، بوب لا فرانس ،؟ ، بول داشاور ، 1945 -

أغلقت عشرون مدرسة ابتدائية كاثوليكية أو اندمجت بسبب انخفاض أعداد الملتحقين بها منذ حقبة الحرب العالمية الثانية - ما يقرب من نصفها في هذه الألفية. واجهت أبرشية أوكلاند تحديات مماثلة ، حيث أغلقت خمس مدارس ابتدائية في عام 2017.

  • مدرسة All Hallows (Bayview): تم إغلاقه في الثمانينيات.
  • دير الراعي الصالح (بايفيو): تأسست في عام 1932 لخدمة الفتيات المنخرطات في نظام العدالة ، وتغير تركيز المدرسة في عام 2010 إلى التركيز على سكن الانتعاش المرخص للنساء البالغات.
  • كوربوس كريستي (إكسلسيور): تم إغلاقه في عام 2011.
  • نجمة الصباح (الإضافة الغربية): تم إغلاقه في التسعينيات.
  • المخلص الأقدس (كاسترو): تم إغلاقه في التسعينيات.
  • القلب المقدس (الإضافة الغربية): تم دمجها مع سانت دومينيك لتصبح أكاديمية ميغان فورث الكاثوليكية في عام 2003 ، وتعمل في مبنى مدرسة سانت دومينيك السابق في باين آند شتاينر. في عام 2011 ، اندمجت ميغان فورث مع مدرسة Mission Dolores لتصبح Mission Dolores Academy ، وتعمل في 16th & Church Streets.
  • سانت أغنيس (هايت أشبوري): تم إغلاقه في عام 1996.
  • مدرسة سانت بونيفاس (تندرلوين): تم إغلاقه في الستينيات.
  • سانت تشارلز (البعثة): مغلق في عام 2017.

اعتبارًا من اليوم ، هناك 7 مدارس ثانوية كاثوليكية تعمل في سان فرانسيسكو:

  • رئيس الأساقفة ريوردان: افتتحت المدرسة في عام 1949 ، وهي واحدة من مدرستين ثانويتين كاثوليكية للبنين فقط في سان فرانسيسكو تضم 700 طالب. بدأت برنامجًا داخليًا في عام 2011 للطلاب من الخارج ، وبدأت مؤخرًا في تقديم برنامج هندسي مع مرتبة الشرف لمدة أربع سنوات.
  • دير القلب المقدس: جزء من مدارس القلب المقدس ، دير هو واحد من ثلاث مدارس ثانوية كاثوليكية للبنات فقط في سان فرانسيسكو ، تعمل في قصر الفيضان القديم في برودواي مع حوالي 200 طالب.
  • أكاديمية ICA-Christo Rey: الحبل بلا دنس سابقًا ، يقتصر القبول الآن على الفتيات من الأسر ذات الدخل المنخفض ، مع برنامج دراسة العمل لمدة 4 سنوات.
  • رحمة: تأسست عام 1952 ، وهي واحدة من ثلاث مدارس ثانوية كاثوليكية للبنات فقط. من 1956-1990 ، كان التحاق Mercy حوالي 800 فتاة - 200 لكل مستوى صف - ولكن عندما تم دمج كاتدرائية القلب المقدس وسانت إغناطيوس (1987 و 1989 على التوالي) ، أصبح التعليم المشترك الكاثوليكي خيارًا جديدًا. سرعان ما استقر عدد رؤوس ميرسي على 400 إجمالاً - 100 لكل مستوى صف. ضم الصف الأول لهذا العام 86 خريجًا ، ويتكون فصل الطلاب الجدد لخريف 2018 من 55 طالبًا من طلاب الصف التاسع.
  • كاتدرائية القلب المقدس: تم دمج مدرسة الكاتدرائية الثانوية (بنات) ومدرسة القلب المقدس الثانوية (بنين) في عام 1987 ، وتخدم حاليًا 1315 طالبًا.
  • القديس اغناطيوس: تأسست عام 1855 في شارع ماركت ، وستحتفل المدرسة ، المختلطة منذ عام 1989 ، بمرور 50 عامًا في منطقة Sunset District في عام 2019 ، وتخدم حاليًا 1485 طالبًا.
  • ستيوارت هول: افتتحت المدرسة الثانوية الكاثوليكية الذكور فقط في عام 2000 كنظير لدير القلب المقدس للنساء ، حيث التحق بها 200 طالب.

تم إغلاق المدارس الثانوية الكاثوليكية التالية منذ حقبة الحرب العالمية الثانية:

  • نوتردام دي نامور (شارع دولوريس): أغلق عام 1981.
  • نوتردام دي فيكتوار (شارع بوش): أغلق عام 1970.
  • عرض (شارع الترك): أغلق عام 1991.
  • سانت بريجيد (شارع فان نيس): مغلق في الخمسينيات.

صورة جماعية ، بطاقة بريدية من كلية نوتردام إلى السيدة إيمي فيكيت [يظهر الجانب المقابل إديث ، ابنتي الكبرى ، هارييت لا سي] ، 6 سبتمبر 1910 -

من المؤكد أن الانخفاض المستمر في عدد الأطفال في سن الدراسة في سان فرانسيسكو ، بالإضافة إلى زيادة تكاليف التشغيل سيؤدي بالتأكيد إلى المزيد من التغييرات في السنوات المقبلة.


الهجرة الصينية إلى الولايات المتحدة

يمكن إرجاع معظم الهجرة الصينية المبكرة إلى الولايات المتحدة إلى منتصف القرن التاسع عشر. هؤلاء المهاجرون الأوائل & # x2014 حوالي 25000 في خمسينيات القرن التاسع عشر وحدها & # x2014 جاءوا يبحثون عن فرص اقتصادية في أمريكا.

الصينيون الذين وصلوا إلى سان فرانسيسكو ، والذين جاءوا بشكل أساسي من منطقتي تايشان وتشونغشان وكذلك مقاطعة قوانغدونغ في البر الرئيسي للصين ، فعلوا ذلك في ذروة CaliforniaGold Rush ، وعمل الكثيرون في المناجم المنتشرة في جميع أنحاء الجزء الشمالي من الولاية.

تولى آخرون وظائف كعاملين في المزارع أو في صناعة الملابس المزدهرة في & # x201CCity by the Bay. & # x201D أصبح المزيد من العمال في وسط المحيط الهادئ والسكك الحديدية العابرة للقارات ، وكان لهم دور فعال في بناء البنية التحتية للنقل التي ساعدت في دفع التوسع غربًا لـ الولايات المتحدة قبل وأثناء وبعد الحرب الأهلية.


أحياء سان فرانسيسكو: من أين أتى هذا الاسم على وجه الأرض؟

حسب بعض الإحصائيات ، يوجد في سان فرانسيسكو أكثر من 140 حيًا مختلفًا - وبعضها أكثر موقفًا من خط العرض. غالبًا ما تستند الأسماء إلى منح الأراضي التاريخية ، وأحيانًا يصوغها السكان. بالنسبة للزائر لأول مرة ، يمكن أن يكون مربكًا بعض الشيء. لمساعدتك في التنقل في بعض الأحياء الرئيسية لدينا ، استشرنا عددًا من المصادر بما في ذلك "أحياء سان فرانسيسكو" لجيرالد آدامز. آدامز ، كاتب سابق في فريق عمل سان فرانسيسكو ممتحن وبعد ذلك أصبح أحد المساهمين في سان فرانسيسكو كرونيكل الذي تضمن نجاحه جلسات استماع لجنة التخطيط والتخطيط الحضري ، حاول توضيح ما أسماه "الفوضى" في دليل محدد ظهر كمكمل في عام 1977 إلى سان فرانسيسكو صنداي ممتحن و كرونيكل. التفتنا أيضا إلى تقويم سان فرانسيسكو، تم نشره في عام 1995 من قبل Gladys Hansen ، أمين أرشيف المدينة لمكتبة سان فرانسيسكو العامة لمدة 47 عامًا ، بالإضافة إلى ويكيبيديا.

تتوافق الأحياء أدناه مع المناطق التي تغطيها خرائطنا الرسمية والتي تشير إلى مناطق جذب الزوار الشهيرة بالإضافة إلى المحتوى الموجود على موقعنا. وبغض النظر عن واحد فقط ، فإن العديد من الأسماء من أصل إسباني بما في ذلك سان فرانسيسكو ، وهي إسبانية للقديس فرانسيس ، المعروف باسم القديس الراعي للحيوانات والبيئة.

ساحة ألامو
تم تسمية مكان "صف البطاقات البريدية" الشهير في سان فرانسيسكو للفيكتوريين الذي أسقطته ناطحات السحاب في وسط المدينة في ستينيات القرن التاسع عشر ، ألامو هي الكلمة الإسبانية التي تعني خشب القطن أو الحور.

بايفيو
اسم Bayview ، أحد الأحياء الواقعة في أقصى الجنوب الشرقي ، مشتق من مضمار السباق عام 1864 ، Bay View Track.

مرتفعات برنال
تخيل امتلاك 4446 فدانًا في سان فرانسيسكو الحالية. وفقًا لويكيبيديا ، مُنحت منحة الأرض المكسيكية هذه إلى خوسيه كورنيليو برنال في عام 1839. وتألفت المنحة من منحتين: Rincon de las Salinas ("زاوية مستنقع مالح" حول Islais Creek) و Potrero Viejo ("المراعي القديمة"). شملت رينكون دي لاس ساليناس أحياء بيرنال هايتس وإكسلسيور والمهمة الخارجية الحالية في جنوب سان فرانسيسكو. ضم بوتريرو فيجو بايفيو وهانترز بوينت اليوم.

السوق المركزي
تعتقد كارولين دايموند ، التي عملت مع Market Street Association منذ حوالي 30 عامًا ، أن شارع Market Street في سان فرانسيسكو - وفي هذا الرمز بالذات ، نتحدث عن المنطقة المشار إليها باسم Central أو Mid-Market ومؤخراً باسم " Twitterhood "بسبب مستأجريها ذوي التقنية العالية - اشتق اسمها من جذع فيلادلفيا الرئيسي الذي كان يُطلق عليه في الأصل High Street.

كاسترو
سمي كاسترو بهذا الاسم نسبة للشارع الذي يحمل اسم عائلة الجنرال المكسيكي خوسيه كاسترو (1808-1860) ، هذه المنطقة الواقعة شمال شرق توين بيكس كانت مركز مجتمع المثليين في سان فرانسيسكو منذ سبعينيات القرن الماضي.

الحي الصيني
"الصين الصغيرة" ، "الحي الصيني" ، "كانتون صغيرة" ، وفي خمسينيات القرن التاسع عشر ، نشأ الحي الصيني ، القلب التاريخي للمجتمع الأمريكي الصيني في سان فرانسيسكو ، حول شارع الصين (الذي يُطلق عليه الآن ساكرامنتو).

مركز المدينة
مجلس المدينة وعدد من المباني الفيدرالية ومباني الولاية تجعل من هذه المنطقة القلب "المدني" لسان فرانسيسكو حيث يتم التعامل مع الأعمال التجارية لكونها مدينة (ومقاطعة).

وادي كول
تم تكريم R. Beverly Cole ، مثمن المدينة السابق حوالي عام 1916 ، في هذا الحي المتاخم لـ Haight حيث يبلغ متوسط ​​قيمة المنازل الآن 1.7 مليون دولار. سيكون كول رجلا سعيدا.

بقرة هولو
تم تسميته في سبعينيات القرن التاسع عشر بسبب انتشار مزارع الألبان في المنطقة ، وهو الآن ملعب لجيل الألفية الذين يترددون على البوتيكات والبارات على طول شارع يونيون.

دوغباتش
يرجع آدامز إلى هانسن في هذا الاسم ويعزو الاسم إلى مجموعات الكلاب التي جابت المنطقة ذات مرة. وهي تجتذب اليوم المعارض الفنية ومجموعات الفنون المسرحية وهي "Do" في DoReMi ، الاسم المستعار الجديد لمنطقة من 10 بلوكات تتضمن أجزاء من Dogpatch و Potrero Hill و Mission.

إمباركاديرو
يمتد Embarcadero على طول حافة خليج سان فرانسيسكو ، ويستمد اسمه من كلمة إسبانية تعني "الهبوط" أو "الرصيف". في الوقت الحاضر ، تتصل أكثر من 80 سفينة سياحية سنويًا وتذهب العبارات إلى مقاطعة مارين وفاليخو وأوكلاند وجنوب سان فرانسيسكو وألاميدا.

نجارة
تخمن هانسن في كتابها أن الاسم قد يُنسب إلى كلمة يونانية ، excelsior ، والتي تعني "تصاعدًا دائمًا". يعود الاسم إلى عام 1869 عندما تم تشكيل جمعية Excelsior Homestead.

فيلمور
سمي على اسم ميلارد فيلمور ، الرئيس الثالث عشر للولايات المتحدة (9 يوليو 1850-4 مارس 1853) يدعم الشارع مجموعة متنوعة من الشركات من نوادي الجاز إلى البوتيكات الراقية منذ إنشائها في لوير هايت إلى حيث تنتهي في منطقة المارينا.

مقاطعة مالية
المنطقة المالية هي أكثر مباشرة قليلاً من معظمها تقليديًا ، فهي تشير إلى شارع مونتغمري بين ماركت وكولومبوس. بنك أوف أمريكا وهرام ترانس أمريكا من بين الهياكل الأكثر شهرة في المنطقة بالإضافة إلى المنزل السابق لبورصة المحيط الهادئ في 301 Pine St.

رصيف الصياد
يعود تاريخ فيشرمانز وارف شرق أكواتيك بارك إلى عام 1900 وهو أحد أشهر مناطق الجذب السياحي في المدينة ، فهو موطن لقوارب الصيد ومطاعم المأكولات البحرية والسفن التاريخية.

جلين بارك
تم الوصول إليه بسهولة من قبل BART ، وكان Glen Park هو الاسم الترويجي لهذه المنطقة التي اختارتها شركة Crocker Estate في عام 1910 ويشير إلى الوادي القريب ، أو "glen" الذي يفضله مشاة الكلاب المحليون (والذئب في بعض الأحيان).

هايت أشبوري
يوجد شارع هايت. يوجد شارع أشبوري. وأصبح التقاطع حيث يلتقي هايت-آشبوري يرمز إلى حقبة تحولية في تاريخ سان فرانسيسكو. أصبحت المنطقة مشهورة في أواخر الستينيات عندما غيرت زهرة القوة وصيف الحب وثقافة الهيبي المدينة وسيوافق الكثيرون ، الولايات المتحدة جنبًا إلى جنب مع لجنة الأراضي الخارجية ، هنري إتش هايت ، الحاكم العاشر لولاية كاليفورنيا (5 ديسمبر). ، 1867-8 ديسمبر 1871) ، تفاوض على صفقة الأرض التي تسمح بإنشاء حديقة جولدن جيت القريبة في عام 1870. تم تسمية ستانيان على اسم أحد المفوضين.

هايز فالي
تم تسمية Hayes Valley بالقرب من مركز Civic في عام 1850 باسم العقيد توماس هايز ، وهو مالك أرض ومطور ، وهي تصطف على جانبي المعارض وزوايا الكتب والمقاهي والمتاجر مع الأدوات المنسقة بعناية.

نقطة الصيادين
لم يُسَمَّ على اسم الصيادين كما توقع الكثيرون. بعد عدة عقود من التسميات الإسبانية ، أُطلق عليها اسم Hunters Point في ستينيات القرن التاسع عشر على اسم اثنين من مالكي الأراضي المحليين: روبرت إي وفيليب هانترز.

إنجلسايد
تم تطوير البصمة البيضاوية لمضمار Ingleside Racetrack الذي تم افتتاحه في عام 1895 في ثلاثينيات القرن الماضي ، ولا تزال مرئية في الحي حول Urbano Drive. تأتي الكلمة نفسها من اللهجة البريطانية التي تعني "بجانب الموقد".

جابانتاون
وفقًا لجمعية تجار Japantown ، انتقل العديد من الأمريكيين اليابانيين واليابانيين إلى هذه المنطقة بالقرب من جيري ولاجونا بعد الزلزال والنار عام 1906. في الأصل تمت الإشارة إلى Japantown باسم "Nihonjin Machi" أو مدينة الشعب الياباني التي امتدت على 30 مبنى. بعد الحرب العالمية الثانية عندما انتقل العديد من السكان السابقين بسبب معسكرات الاعتقال ، تغير الحي ليعكس الطابع الأكثر تشتتًا لمجتمع ما بعد الحرب ، من Nihonjin Machi إلى Nihonmachi أو Japantown.

مارينا
واحدة من أكثر الأحياء التي تحمل اسمًا مناسبًا في سان فرانسيسكو ، المارينا التي حصلت على اسمها من الكلمة الإسبانية أو الإيطالية للشاطئ أو الساحل ، ومؤخراً كرسى للقوارب الصغيرة بها وفرة من الثلاثة.

ميشن باي
كانت المستنقعات المالحة والبحيرات هي النظام السائد حتى عام 1998 عندما ركز مسؤولو المدينة على المنطقة كفرصة للتنمية. وهو الآن المقر الرئيسي للطب والتكنولوجيا الحيوية والمقر المستقبلي لـ Golden State Warriors.

ميشن كريك
يتم توجيه جزء كبير من الخور عبر القنوات الجوفية باستثناء جزء صغير يصب في حوض الصين.

منطقة مهمة
تأسست Misión San Francisco de Asís في 29 يونيو 1776 ، تحت إشراف الأب جونيبيرو سيرا وهي أقدم مهمة أصلية سليمة في كاليفورنيا وأقدم مبنى في سان فرانسيسكو. هذا المبنى هو أصل منطقة Mission District.

نوب هيل
كانت موطنًا للفنادق الفاخرة وتتقاطع مع خطي التلفريك ، وكانت في يوم من الأيام موطنًا لـ Leland Stanford ، مؤسس جامعة ستانفورد ، وثلاثة أعضاء آخرين من الأثرياء في Big Four (Collis Huntington و Mark Hopkins و Charles Crocker). تم تكييف كلمة "nabob" ، وهي كلمة أنجلو-هندية لرجل ثري بشكل واضح ، من أجل السكان الفاضلين وتم اختصارها في النهاية إلى Nob Hill.

نوي فالي
خوسيه دي خيسوس نوي ، آخر ألكاد مكسيكي (عمدة) يربا بوينا (المعروف الآن باسم سان فرانسيسكو) ، امتلك ما يسمى الآن وادي نوي كجزء من رانشو سان ميغيل. باع الأرض في عام 1854 لمهاجر من طائفة المورمون ، جون ميرس هورنر.

لا با
قام الأشخاص في Hoodline بالكثير من الحفر للحصول على اسم هذا الحي الذي يعد اختصارًا لـ North of the Panhandle ، "المتنزه" الطويل لـ Golden Gate Park الذي يمتد حوالي ثمانية كتل قبل أن ينضم إلى المنتزه الرئيسي. كان الاسم موجودًا منذ فترة طويلة ولكنه أصبح أكثر شهرة في عام 2006 عندما تم افتتاح مطعم Nopa الشهير.

نورث بيتش
يجب على الزوار ملاحظة أنه لا يوجد شاطئ في نورث بيتش ، هذا الحي ذو اللكنات الإيطالية حصل على اسمه لأنه يتبع الشاطئ الشمالي لخليج سان فرانسيسكو.

نقطة الشمال
هذا نوع من التخمين من جانبنا ، ولكن هذا الشارع الذي يمر عبر فيشرمانز وارف ربما يشير إلى رصيف نورث بوينت على الجانب الشمالي من تل تلغراف الذي تم بناؤه عام 1853.

مرتفعات المحيط الهادئ
بعد رحلة طويلة محفوفة بالمخاطر ، دخل الملاح البرتغالي فرديناند ماجلان إلى مياه غير مألوفة وأطلق عليها لقب "المحيط الهادئ". ادمج ذلك مع المرتفعات الشاهقة لهذا الحي المرموق ، وستحصل على اسم مرتفعات المحيط الهادئ.

مرتفعات بارناسوس
في الأصل يوناني ، يبلغ ارتفاع هذا التل حوالي 400 قدم فقط مقابل جبل بارناسوس في وسط اليونان الذي يرتفع أكثر من 8000 قدم.

بارك ميرسيد
يستمد المجتمع المخطط له بالقرب من جامعة ولاية سان فرانسيسكو اسمه من بحيرة ميرسيد التي أطلق عليها في الأصل اسم Laguna de Nuestra Señora de la Merced (سيدة الرحمة) بواسطة الكابتن Don Bruno de Heceta في عام 1775.

بولك جولش
يقع هذا الجزء من شارع بولك ، المسمى على اسم جيمس ك.بولك ، الرئيس الحادي عشر للولايات المتحدة (4 مارس 1845-4 مارس 1849) بين شارعي جيري ويونيون.

تل بوتريرو
اعتاد المبشرون الإسبان على رعي الماشية على هذا التل وأطلقوا عليها اسم بوتريرو نويفو الذي يعني "المراعي الجديدة".

بريسيديو
تشير هذه الكلمة بالإسبانية إلى منطقة محصنة أو قلعة. يعود تاريخ موقع Presidio of San Francisco إلى عام 1776 وكان في الأصل حصنًا إسبانيًا أنشأه Juan Bautista de Anza.

ريتشموند
وفقًا لهانسن ، حددت الخرائط المبكرة للمنطقة هذا باسم "Great Sand Waste" ، وهو سبب إضافي للاستمتاع بمساحات خضراء مورقة في حديقة Golden Gate Park. أطلق جورج تورنر مارش ، المهاجر الأسترالي وتاجر التحف ، على منزله "منزل ريتشموند" نسبة إلى إحدى ضواحي ملبورن بأستراليا ، وهو من أوائل سكان الحي.

التل الروسي
كما تقول القصة ، تم دفن العديد من البحارة الروس هنا. اكتشف المستوطنون في عصر جولد راش مقبرة روسية صغيرة في أعلى التل.

سوما
اعتاد الموقتون القدامى الإشارة إلى أي شيء جنوب شارع السوق ، على أنه "جنوب الفتحة". كتب المؤلف جاك لندن ، الذي ولد في هذه المنطقة في 615 شارع ثيرد ، في طبعة مايو 1909 من السبت مساء بوست: "كانت الفتحة صدعًا حديديًا يمتد على طول وسط شارع السوق ، ومن الفتحة نشأ نتوء الكبل المتواصل الذي لا نهاية له والذي تم ربطه بالسيارات التي يسحبها لأعلى ولأسفل حسب الرغبة."

الشاطىء الجنوبى
تصف معظم المصادر هذه المنطقة بأنها منطقة مطورة حديثًا ، ومع ذلك ، فهي تشمل منطقة ساوث إند التاريخية. تستشهد Airbnb بـ "العبور الرائع والمناظر الخلابة وتناول الطعام" باعتبارها السمات المميزة للمنطقة التي تشمل AT & ampT Park ومرسى.

غروب
ومن المفارقات أن أحد الأحياء الضبابية في المدينة يسمى الغروب. المؤرخون ، حسب ويكيبيديا ، يختلفون في أصل الاسم. ربما يكون المطور Aurelius Buckingham قد صاغ الاسم أو يمكن أن ينبع من معرض California Midwinter Exposition في عام 1894 المعروف أيضًا باسم "Sunset City".

لحم المتن
هذا مصطلح قديم ويمكن للزوار معرفة المزيد عن أصل الاسم في متحف Tenderloin وهو حي في نيويورك معروف بالكسب غير المشروع و / أو "البطن الرخوة" الشبيه بقطع اللحم وهي إحدى النظريات. ينسب آخرون الاسم إلى ضابط شرطة ادعى أنه كان سيأكل درجة أفضل من اللحوم عندما تم نقله إلى هذا الحي في نيويورك.

جزيرة الكنز
كانت هذه الجزيرة التي معظمها من صنع الإنسان موقعًا لمعرض غولدن غيت الدولي لعام 1939 لإحياء ذكرى الانتهاء من جسر البوابة الذهبية ، الاسم هو تكريم لجزيرة الكنز ، قصة روبرت لويس ستيفنسون عن الذهب المدفون والقراصنة.

قمم التوأم
هذا واحد إلى حد ما لا يحتاج إلى شرح. ابحث عن شارع السوق وستجدهما - قمتان ، شمال وجنوب ، يبلغ ارتفاع كل منهما حوالي 900 قدم (274 مترًا). في بداية القرن الثامن عشر ، أطلق الغزاة الأسبان على المنطقة اسم "Los Pechos de la Chola" أو "صدور البكر الهندي" وكانت المنطقة تُستخدم في تربية المواشي.

ميدان الاتحاد
تم تسميته للمظاهرات المؤيدة للاتحاد عشية الحرب الأهلية ، وقد تم بناء Union Square وتخصيصه من قبل عمدة سان فرانسيسكو جون جيري في عام 1850.

وادي فيزيتاسيون
عودة إلى التراث الأسباني في سان فرانسيسكو إلى كلمة تعني "زيارة". يأتي اسم الوادي من منحة أرض كبيرة تسمى Rancho Cañada de Guadalupe la Visitación y Rodeo Viejo.

البوابة الغربية
تم افتتاح نفق Twin Peaks في عام 1918 والذي استخدمته العديد من خطوط ترام موني (K و L و M) ويخرج في هذا الحي عند "البوابة الغربية" أو المدخل.

إضافة الغربية
تم تصنيف كل شيء غرب شارع لاركن على أنه إضافة غربية في خمسينيات القرن التاسع عشر بسبب مرسوم فان نيس. وسقط نحو 500 كتلة تحت هذا الإجراء.

يربا بوينا
كان يربا بوينا هو الاسم الأصلي للمستوطنة المكسيكية التي أصبحت سان فرانسيسكو. تأتي من نبتة (يربا بوينا أو "عشب جيد") كانت وفيرة في المنطقة.


نوب هيل - لمسة من الرقي

لأكثر من قرن من الزمان ارتبط نوب هيل في سان فرانسيسكو بالقشرة العليا ، العاشق ، لا دولتشي فيتا. يشير الاسم إلى أقرب المستوطنين.

نوب ، كما يعلم المعجبون المخلصون لفيلم "The Jewel in the Crown" ، هو اختصار للكلمة الهندوسية nabob أو nawwab: "A person، esp. الأوروبي ، الذي جمع ثروة كبيرة في الهند أو أي بلد آخر في الشرق ، شخصًا ثريًا جدًا أو قويًا.

حقق سكان سان فرانسيسكو ثرواتهم في الغرب في منتصف القرن التاسع عشر بالذهب والفضة وخط سكك حديد وسط المحيط الهادئ.

في السنوات التي أعقبت إضراب الذهب عام 1848 مباشرة ، أتاح التل المغطى بالفرشاة والذي يرتفع 376 قدمًا فوق الواجهة البحرية الهروب من قسوة المدينة المزدهرة أدناه. حتى اعتبره الأثرياء الجدد قاعدة لهم.

من بين أول من بنوا قصورهم ، كان هناك بارونات السكك الحديدية المعروفين باسم الأربعة الكبار - تشارلز كروكر ، ليلاند ستانفورد ، مارك هوبكنز وكوليس هنتنغتون - في سبعينيات القرن التاسع عشر. اقترب ملوك الكومستوك لود وجيمس فلود وجيمس جي فلير من ثرواتهم. كانت تجاوزاتهم المعمارية لدرجة أن سكان الأراضي المنخفضة جاءوا بأعداد كبيرة للتحديق. وصف روبرت لويس ستيفنسون المشهد عام 1882 بعنوان "تل القصور".

كانت الدرجة شديدة الانحدار (24.8 في المائة على الوجه الجنوبي) صعبة على الخيول وأصحاب الملايين على حد سواء. لذلك قام سكان التلال الذين يفتخرون بالمنزل بتركيب خط التلفريك الخاص بهم ، شركة California St. R.R. Co. ، في عام 1878. وما زال يعمل حتى اليوم.

لا تزال هناك تذكيرات أخرى لهذا العصر الملتهب. احترقت الفيلات الخشبية الفخمة في أعقاب زلزال عام 1906. لكن الحجر البني المهيب جيمس فلود الذي أقيم في 1000 شارع كاليفورنيا عام 1886 نجا. بمعزل عن السياج النحاسي الصلب ، إنه نادي Pacific Union ، المجال الحصري لأقطاب العصر الحديث.

إن P-U ، كما هو معروف بشكل غير لائق ، يحيط بها من الغرب حديقة هنتنغتون حيث أقام هنتنغتون ذات يوم. تم تجديد هذه الساحة المزهرة بشكل جذاب في عام 1984. وكانت هذه الساحة المزهرة مكانًا مناسبًا لرحلات الطيران الأنيقة وكلاب البودل المُجهزة جيدًا ، وهي نسخة من Fontana delle Tartarughe (نافورة السلاحف) في روما من تأليف Taddeo Landini (1585) - كانت هدية من Crocker أسرة.

عبر شارع Mason Street من P-U ، يحتل مبنى James G. Fair الذي ترك لأطفاله ، فندق Fairmont San Francisco المكون من 606 غرفة. تم افتتاح المبنى الرئيسي مع البورتة الأنيقة والردهة الفسيحة في عام 1907 ، والبرج في عام 1961. ويبلغ سعر جناح بنتهاوس - مانور على السطح - 18000 دولار في اليوم ، بما في ذلك خدمة الخادم الشخصي والخادمة والليموزين. في عام 1972 ، تمت إضافة محكمة ستانفورد إلى فندق Nob Hill الرباعي. يقع في شارعي كاليفورنيا وباول حيث تتقاطع خطوط التلفريك الثلاثة في المدينة ، والجدار الجرانيت والبازلت الضخم الذي يدعم جانبي الكتلة هو البقايا الوحيدة لملكية ليلاند ستانفورد.

من عام 1912 إلى عام 1971 ، كان هذا العنوان الأنيق ينتمي إلى منزل سكني فاخر مع مدخل فناء. تم تدمير المبنى المكون من ثمانية طوابق وإعادة بنائه من الداخل إلى الخارج لاستيعاب 394 غرفة في ستانفورد كورت ، والتي احتفلت بخدماتها التي لا تشوبها شائبة واهتمامها بالتفاصيل وديكورها الأنيق. في الوقت الحاضر ، الفناء مقبب بزجاج على طراز تيفاني.

كان جيران ستانفورد المجاور هم هوبكنز. فائض ماري هوبكنز ، قصر مبهرج للغاية أثار السخرية ، تم استبداله بالفندق الفخم (19 طابقًا ، 392 غرفة) فندق مارك هوبكنز إنتركونتيننتال. تم افتتاح The Mark في عام 1926 ، وله تاريخ من الظهور لأول مرة ، والرقص على العشاء ، وأعمال دوري الناشئين ، وشهر العسل رفيع المستوى. حددت أسلوب غرف السماوات في عام 1939. بالنسبة للقوات المقاتلة في المحيط الهادئ في الحرب العالمية الثانية والتي توافدت بالآلاف على قمة المارك ، أصبح الشريط البانورامي الذي يقع على ارتفاع 537 قدمًا فوق الخليج رمزًا للحياة الجيدة في الوطن. الأسطورة لا تزال حية.

من الناحية التاريخية ، يجب أن يكون فندق هنتنغتون هو توبين. على الرغم من أنها تواجه هنتنغتون بارك ، إلا أن الزاوية التي تهيمن عليها في كاليفورنيا ، ونال تيلور لأول مرة من قبل الرجل الثري الذي يبلغ من العمر 49 عامًا ريتشارد توبين الفيكتوري. كان المبنى المكون من 12 طابقًا يسكنه سكان شقق من عام 1924 إلى عام 1945 عندما تم تحويله إلى فندق.

عزلت غرف وأجنحة هنتنغتون البالغ عددها 140 مجموعة من أفراد العائلة المالكة (الأميرات مارغريت وغريس والأمير تشارلز) ، وهي الملاذ المفضل لمجموعة المشاهير. يخلد مطعم Big Four ، المطوي في أركانه المبنية من الطوب الأحمر ، ذكرى أباطرة التلال المؤسسين (الذين يتميزون بأكثر من باحث بأنهم مستغلون لا يرحمون) باللوحات والمطبوعات والتذكارات الأخرى.

يمتد المبنى التاريخي الذي يمتد على 17 عمودًا على طول شارع ستوكتون بين كاليفورنيا وباين ، وهو موطن لأحدث إضافة إلى قصور نوب هيل. يمثل فندق ريتز كارلتون ، سان فرانسيسكو ، الذي افتتح في عام 1991 ، أحد أفضل الأمثلة على العمارة الكلاسيكية الجديدة في سان فرانسيسكو. توسع "المعبد التجاري" السابق لعام 1909 خمس مرات كمقر ساحل المحيط الهادئ لشركة متروبوليتان للتأمين على الحياة ويضم الآن 336 غرفة ضيوف و 44 جناحًا وحديقة ذات مناظر طبيعية ومطعمًا حائزًا على جوائز ، وغرفة الطعام ، من بين وسائل الراحة الفاخرة الأخرى.

السماحة الرمادية العظيمة على قمة نوب هيل في شارع كاليفورنيا هي كاتدرائية جريس ، أكبر مبنى قوطي في الغرب. تبرعت عائلة كروكر بهذه الكتلة بأكملها لأبرشية الأسقفية في كاليفورنيا بعد أن دمر حريق 2006 مسكنيهم هناك. تم وضع حجر الأساس في عام 1910 ، لكن البناء الرئيسي لم يبدأ حتى عام 1927.

من بين روائع الكاتدرائية العديدة ، ليس هناك ما هو أكثر جاذبية من الأبواب البرونزية المذهبة التي أنشأها لورنزو غيبيرتي للمعمودية في فلورنسا. هذه هي بوابات القرن الخامس عشر التي اعتبرها مايكل أنجلو مناسبة لتكون بوابات الجنة (بورتا ديل باراديسو). تصور نقوشهم العشرة المستطيلة مشاهد من العهد القديم. يقفون في أعلى درجات المدخل الشرقي للكاتدرائية.

تحتضن منحدرات نوب هيل كنزًا من نوع آخر. يقع فندق Cable Car Barn & amp Museum الفريد من نوعه على بعد كتلتين سكنيتين منحدرًا من فندق فيرمونت في شارعي ماسون وواشنطن. من معرض الميزانين (مفتوح للجمهور ، مجانًا ، من الساعة 10 صباحًا حتى الساعة 6 مساءً يوميًا) يمكن للزوار مشاهدة الآلات غير المحتملة التي تحافظ على حركة قطع المتاحف الآلية في المدينة.

ليس من المستغرب أن تضم هذه المنطقة الفاخرة بعضًا من أفخم أماكن الذواقة في سان فرانسيسكو. تقدم فنادقها الكبرى مطاعم تقدم كل شيء من Squab في Armagnac إلى فطائر فوا جرا وحلوى الخبز.

يمكن للضيوف الذين يتوقفون في أي من هذه البيوت المتنقلة الأنيقة الخروج من الردهة وركوب التلفريك في شارع كاليفورنيا لركوب أحد أكثر نصف ميل في المدينة تنوعًا. المسارات متوازية مثل منازل البلدة ، والشقق المتواضعة ، والمعابد الصينية وأبراج التمويل.

في شارع ماركت ستريت ، يقوم التلفريك بتبديل المسارات والعودة من يوم العمل إلى المخلخل.


علم أصل الكلمة لشارع الصنوبر في سان فرانسيسكو - التاريخ

قصة الحي الصيني

قصة الحي الصيني هي قصة حي حي أمريكي ، حي قديم ، حي للمهاجرين ، حيث لا يزال البلد القديم يعيش داخل الحي الجديد. يتم نسج الماضي والحاضر معًا بشكل لا ينفصل في هذا الحي الذي حددته شوارع برودواي وكاليفورنيا وكيرني وباول.

في منتصف الأربعينيات من القرن التاسع عشر ، بعد هزيمة بريطانيا في حرب الأفيون الأولى ، وقعت سلسلة من الكوارث الطبيعية في جميع أنحاء الصين مما أدى إلى مجاعة وانتفاضات الفلاحين وتمردات. من المفهوم أنه عندما وصلت أخبار الذهب والفرص في منطقة Gum San البعيدة (الجبل الذهبي - الاسم الصيني لأمريكا) إلى الصين ، اغتنم العديد من الصينيين الفرصة للسعي وراء ثروتهم.

قوبل الصينيون بمشاعر غامضة من قبل سكان كاليفورنيا. في عام 1850 ، دعا عمدة سان فرانسيسكو جون دبليو جيري "فتى الصين" إلى احتفال للاعتراف بأخلاقيات عملهم. However, as the American economy weakened, the Chinese labor force became a threat to mainstream society. Racial discrimination and repressive legislation drove the Chinese from the gold mines to the sanctuary of the neighborhood that became known as Chinatown. The only ethnic group in the history of the United States to have been specifically denied entrance into the country, the Chinese were prohibited by law to testify in court, to own property, to vote, to have families join them, to marry non-Chinese, and to work in institutional agencies.

The success and survival of Chinatown depended a great deal on the family and district benevolent associations which served as political and social support systems to newcomers. The members strove to meet the basic needs of the community, and represented a united voice in the fight against discriminatory legislation process.

"CHINATOWN" offers a revealing look at how a group of people bound geographically, culturally, linguistically and economically during hostile times has flourished to become a vibrant, courageous and proud community for Chinese Americans and greater San Francisco, referred to as Dai Fao (Big City) in Chinese.

Return to the Chinatown Resource Guide Table of Contents

FROM MOTHER LODE AND RAILROAD TO A NEW ECONOMY

Depression followed the completion of the railroad. In 1869 twenty thousand Chinese were suddenly out of work. Many traditional means of wage earning were inaccessible to the Chinese.

Their farm laboring skills produced superior varieties of rice, oranges, apples, cherries and peaches. The Chinese filled the need for domestic services in white homes and developed laundry businesses. They became successfully involved in the restaurant business, fishing and shrimping industries, and leather goods manufacturing. As soon as their new businesses flourished, they were targeted as unwelcome competition to the struggling economy of San Francisco.

The Burlingame Treaty of 1869 encouraged the Chinese to emigrate to the United States in greater numbers. Reacting to the America's fear of the "yellow peril," in 1877 Denis Kearney organized the Workingman's Party with the rallying cry, "The Chinese Must Go!" which led to the looting and burning of many Chinese businesses.

More than thirty anti-Chinese legislations were enacted during the l870's at both the state and local levels. (See legislation section) The result of this codified racism was to exclude Chinese from many occupations and to deprive them of full participation in a society they had helped to build. Culmination of this discriminatory legislation resulted in the Chinese Exclusion Act of May 6, l882. This act suspended the immigration of Chinese laborers for ten years.

Return to the Chinatown Resource Guide Table of Contents

BUILDING PORTSMOUTH SQUARE

The American flag was raised in Portsmouth Square, on July 9, 1846. The small frontier town rapidly grew into a city after the discovery of gold. Portsmouth Square, served as a cow pen, surrounded by tents and adobe huts in 1848, and by brick and stone buildings, hotels, business offices, shops, gambling places and restaurants by the late 1850's. At that time hundreds of Chinese strategically chose to locate their laundries, restaurants and shops close to the center of the city, Portsmouth Square to cater to mining related needs. They were established on or within a block of the square, and gradually branched out to Dupont (present-day Grant) and Kearny Streets. The area referred to as "Little Canton," had thirty-three retail stores, fifteen pharmacies/Chinese herbalists and five restaurants. In 1853 the neighborhood was given the name "Chinatown" by the press. The first Chinese hand laundry was started on the corner of Washington Dupont Streets in 1851. By 1870 some 2,000 Chinese laundries were in the trade growing to 7,500 in 1880. Merchants and peddlers provided fresh fruits, vegetables and flowers. As San Francisco became a recreation center, the Chinese seized opportunities to provide festive activities. In addition an entire theater building was imported from China and erected in Chinatown to house the Chinese theatrical troupe.

Chinatown's twelve blocks of crowded wooden and brick houses, businesses, temples, family associations, rooming houses for the bachelor majority, (in 1880 the ratio of men to women was 20 to 1) opium dens, gambling halls was home to 22,000 people. The atmosphere of early Chinatown was bustling and noisy with brightly colored lanterns, three-cornered yellow silk pennants denoting restaurants, calligraphy on sign boards, flowing costumes, hair in queues and the sound of Cantonese dialects. In this familiar neighborhood the immigrants found the security and solidarity to survive the racial and economic oppression of greater San Francisco.

Return to the Chinatown Resource Guide Table of Contents

EARTHQUAKE AND FIRE DESTROY CHINATOWN

On April 18, 1906, San Francisco was devastated by a huge earthquake. As fires raged, Chinatown was leveled. It seemed that what the city and country wanted for fifty years, nature had accomplished in forty-five seconds. Ironically, because the immigration records and vital statistics at City Hall had been destroyed, many Chinese were able to claim citizenship, then send for their children and families in China. Legally, all children of U.S. citizens were automatically citizens, regardless of their place of birth. Thus began the influx of"paper sons and paper daughters" - instant citizens - which helped balance the demographics of Chinatown's "bachelor society." Finally, Chinatown had what it had been missing for so long - children.

The city fathers had no intention of allowing Chinatown to be rebuilt in its own neighborhood, on valuable land next to the Financial District. While they were deciding where to relocate the Chinese, a wealthy businessman named Look Tin Eli developed a plan to rebuild Chinatown to its original location. He obtained a loan from Hong Kong and designed the new Chinatown to be more emphatically "Oriental" to draw tourists. The old Italianate buildings were replaced by Edwardian architecture embellished with theatrical chinoiserie. Chinatown, like the phoenix, rose from the ashes with a new facade, dreamed up by an American-born Chinese man, built by white architects, looking like a stage-set China that does not exist.

Return to the Chinatown Resource Guide Table of Contents

ANGEL ISLAND: PORT OF ENTRY

Angel Island, the immigration station on San Francisco Bay, opened in 1910 to enforce the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, is where two hundred fifty thousand Chinese immigrants were processed. The average detention was two weeks, the longest was twenty-two months. Conditions on Angel Island were harsh, families were isolated, separated, and the interrogated. Detainees were questioned in great detail about who they were and why they were claiming the right to enter the United States. Those whose answers were unacceptable to the officers were denied admission. To prepare for the questions, immigrants often relied on coaching papers which contained details on the background of individuals who could legally claim American citizenship. Typically such papers were purchased as part of the package of tickets and information about entering the United States.

Angel Island Station was closed in 1940 after a fire destroyed many of the buildings. The Exclusion Act was repealed in 1943 and in 1962 most of Angel Island was converted to state park.

Return to the Chinatown Resource Guide Table of Contents

WORLD WAR II's IMPACT ON CHINATOWN

As with the Great Quake and fire of 1906, the catastrophic events of World War II and it's aftermath benefited the Chinese in America. The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor (December 7, 1941) became a vehicle of opportunity for the Chinese Americans. China became an ally in the war against Japan, and public sentiment in favor of America's Chinese allies surged. For the first time, Chinese aliens entered the mainstream of American society. Chinese Americans wore the same uniform as American soldiers, and fought side by side with them under the American flag. Labor shortages on the homefront opened jobs previously closed to them.

The most important declaration came on December 17, 1943, halfway through the war, when President Roosevelt signed the repeal of the Chinese Exclusion Act, ending more than sixty years of legalized racism and discrimination. This did not guarantee instant acceptance by the dominant society. After the repeal of the Exclusion Act and the enactment of the War Bride Act, acculturation and assimilation began to take place. The once bachelor society began to shift toward a new American Chinese community filled with families and children. Finally Chinese immigrants were legally allowed to become citizens and to own property.

Return to the Chinatown Resource Guide Table of Contents

CHINATOWN TODAY

Today's Chinatown is a unique neighborhood defined by its people, its institutions and its history - a history of welcome, rejection and acceptance. Chinese-style buildings and the narrow bustling streets give Chinatown its character. Beyond the gilded storefronts you will find tenements crowded with elderly people and new immigrants struggling with problems left by years of exclusion and discrimination - unemployment, health problems and substandard housing. Core Chinatown itself, limited by its capacity to grow, no longer serves as the major residential area for the Chinese of San Francisco. Many have moved out of crowded Chinatown to the Richmond and Sunset districts.

In 1977, the Chinatown Resource Center and the Chinese Community Housing Corporation launched a comprehensive improvement program striving to find solutions for land use changes. Since 1895 the Chinese American Citizens Alliance has fought against disenfranchisement of citizens of Chinese ancestry and sponsored a number of community projects.

Today, San Francisco's Chinatown has developed cultural autonomy which sustains many activities: dance, music groups, a children's orchestra, artists, a Chinese Culture Center, and the Chinese Historical Society of America. A result of the community's commitment to excellence in education is its involvement in the legal debates of affirmative action vs. school desegregation for Asian-American youth.

"Viewed within the context of the City of San Francisco, Chinatown is one of many culturally distinct neighborhoods that together make up the backbone of the City. Viewed within the context of America, Chinatown is an American working class community that has been a partner in building this nation with every other American working class community. Like all other American neighborhoods, Chinatown has been developed by the will and energies of immigrants."*

* Elaine Joe, "American Communities Built on Multiculturalism," Neighborhood Bulletin, A Newsletter of the Chinatown Resource Center and Chinese Community Housing Corporation vol.17, no.4 (Fall 1995).


Chinatown’s Grant Avenue: A look back at one of San Francisco’s oldest streets

Much ink has been spilled on the history of Chinatown and Grant Avenue, billed as San Francisco’s oldest street, which runs north to south starting at Market Street and ending at Francisco Street in North Beach. While surveying the entirety of Grant is an epic undertaking, a closer look at a few notable spots along Chinatown’s busiest thoroughfare offers a glimpse into this popular yet overlooked neighborhood.

"San Francisco's oldest street" is a major claim. Back in the early 19th century, the city was established as Yerba Buena by William Richardson, the town's first land grantee. He established a trading post settlement in 1835 with today’s Portsmouth Square as the plaza and the first street drawn as Calle de la Fundación (“street of the founding”).

Richardson built his family a hodgepodge tent-shack on the hillside along Grant Avenue between Clay and Washington streets, establishing the first residence in what would later become San Francisco.

William Richardson’s 1835 map of Yerba Buena with Calle de la Fundacion as the only street Image via UC Berkeley, Bancroft Library

In 1839 a survey of Yerba Buena was drawn by Jean Vioget, a surveyor and sea captain, including the current layout of Grant Avenue. While credited as the first surveyor of Yerba Buena, he didn’t name any of the streets.

Jasper O’Farrell’s 1847 survey map with added street names. Image via UC Berkeley, Bancroft Library

When Commander John Montgomery of the USS Portsmouth took possession of Yerba Buena in 1846, his administration hired Jasper O’Farrell, first surveyor for San Francisco and mind behind Market Street, to enlarge the Vioget survey that serves as the early iteration of the downtown area.

O’Farrell, he of the eponymous street in the Tenderloin, named all the streets in his survey, and Calle de la Fundación was renamed Dupont Street in honor of the USS Portsmouth’s admiral.

1839 Jean Voiget plan of Yerba Buena. Image via UC Berkeley, Bancroft

By the late 1800s, the street had become home to Chinese immigrants who were escaping persecution or following the Gold Rush. “Du Pon Gai,” as many Chinese called it, already had a reputation for opium dens, sing-song girls (an English term for the courtesans in 19th-century China), the Tong wars, and criminal organizations.

The street was also flamed by a prejudice that plagued the residents from the earliest days of the city. In an attempt to upgrade the area, downtown merchants renamed a portion the street after President Ulysses S. Grant.

Dupont north from corner of Clay, circa 1880. Photo via San Francisco History Center/SF Public Library

"Dead Wall Bulletin Board" for Tong grievances on Dupont Street at Washington, circa 1889. Photo via San Francisco History Center/SF Public Library

While the area proved to be one of the most thriving in the city, everything changed after the 1906 earthquake and fire. Chinatown was leveled, and reconstruction efforts facilitated a new facade for the historically Chinese neighborhood.

Grant Avenue before the 1906 earthquake and fire. Photo via San Francisco History Center/SF Public Library

California Street between Stockton and Dupont, 1906, post-quake. Photo via California Historical Society

While the previous buildings looked contiguous with the rest of the city, despite their Chinese tenants, the newly constructed Chinatown featured designs reminiscent of China.

One of the first buildings to incorporate this new aesthetic was the Sing Fat Company building at the southwest corner of California and Grant. Built by (non-Chinese) architects Ross and Burgren, the pagoda-roofed building was billed as an “Oriental Bazaar” with additional branches in Los Angeles and New York.

Postcard of Sing Fat Company building, circa 1910. Photo via Palos Verdes Library District, Local History Collection

The building is still standing today with retail shops, but has lost much of its original ornamentation.

Across the street from Sing Fat Company, at the northwest corner, the Sing Chong building (also designed by Ross and Burgren) opened at the same time as another bazaar. It was later converted to the Cathay House Restaurant in 1942.

The Sing Chong building illuminated during the Portola Festival, 1909. Photo via San Francisco History Center/SF Public Library

The Sing Chong building illuminated during the Portola Festival, 1909. Photo via San Francisco History Center/SF Public Library

The Sing Chong building, 1910. Photo via California Historical Society.

Inspired by its standout look, many other buildings on the street started featuring similar architectural treatments. For instance, the Bank of America building at 701 Grant, originally the Nanking Fook Wo Inc., featured traditional dragon motifs.

Chinatown branch of Bank of America at 701 Grant, 1964. Photo via San Francisco History Center/SF Public Library

The ubiquitous red lantern street lamps that line Grant Avenue, a popular attraction today for tourists and local photographers, were installed for the 1939 Panama-Pacific International Exposition.

Street lamps installed for World’s Fair, 1938.

Photo via San Francisco History Center/SF Public Library

Local lore has it that chop suey, the popular American-Chinese dish, originated in Gold Rush-era San Francisco when hungry miners barged into an area Chinese restaurant, which was just about to close, demanding food.

The chef scraped leftovers off other plates, slapped some sauce on it, and served it to them as chop suey (a mixed-up version of Cantonese for “odds and ends”). Regardless of its origins, chop suey was a mainstay in mid-20th-century Chinatown.

Grant between Pacific and Broadway, 1944. Photo via San Francisco History Center/SF Public Library

The Shanghai Low sign at 532 Grant once shone bright on the building built in 1908. Though the sign technically still exists, the “Chop Suey” signage has been replaced with “Lotus Garden,” the original marquee was replaced by generic vinyl awnings along the street, and all the cornice ornamentation has been removed.

Chinatown in the 1940s. Photo via the California State Library

Photo via California State Library

The 1913 Western States Importing Company at 400 Grant looks very much the same today as it did in 1951, though its setting has changed with the addition of the Chinatown entrance gates at Grant and Bush.

Shanghai Low building at 532 Grant, 1976. Photo by San Francisco Planning Department

Corner of Grant Avenue and Bush Street, 1951. Photo via San Francisco History Center/SF Public Library

One of the most iconic (and photographed) spots on Grant Avenue is the Dragon Gate entrance at Bush Street. Dedicated in 1970, the gate features Chinese gateway standards using stone throughout.

With a design by Chinese-American architect Clayton Lee, who based it on Chinese ceremonial gates, it features motifs of fish and dragons with two lion statues on each side. Lee’s design won a contest in the late 1960s and includes a wooden plaque with a quote from Dr. Sun Yat-sen, which hangs from the main archway bearing gilded words that read, “All under heaven is for the good for the people.”


Etymology of Pine Street in San Francisco - History

National Register of Historic Places in San Francisco

The Lower Nob Hill Apartment Hotel District is located in downtown San Francisco on the south slope of Nob Hill. The district is bounded by Bush Street on the north, the Financial District on the east, the Tenderloin on the south, and the Polk-Van Ness corridor on the west.

It is a close-packed district of residential buildings with a height of three to seven stories. The buildings are unequaled in quantity and quality anywhere in California except possibly in the Tenderloin. For blockfront after blockfront, the apartments and hotels march along at nearly even cornice lines, breasting similar bay windows and fire escapes above the sidewalk steps and store fronts, agreeing on the form of dress and the vocabulary of ornament.

Most were constructed between 1906 and 1925, giving them a remarkable consistency of style. Most remain nearly intact. There are almost no new buildings.

It has always been a residential district - apartments, residential hotels and apartment hotels with a few office conversions. It remains what it was when constructed a century ago.

Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1991.

Contractor P. L. Pettigrew built this brick-clad, eight-story hotel in the Renaissance revival style.

When we photographed the building in November 2019, it housed the WorldMark San Francisco Hotel.

This seven-story, stucco-clad building with Renaissance ornamentation, originally housed apartments and two stores. It was built by James L. McLaughlin.

This seven-story, brick building with galvanized iron cladding and Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival ornament was designed by Rousseau and Rousseau.


The view from Dashiell Hammett Street. ال
highrise is the Medical Dental Building on Sutter
Street.

Originally an apartment hotel and stores, this six-story building was designed by Righetti & Headman. It is clad in stucco and galvanized iron with Renaissance ornamentation.

The building faces Dashiell Hammett Street, a one-block alley that runs between Bush Street and Pine Street.

When we photographed the building in November 2019, it housed apartments.

Architects Righetti & Headman designed this five-story apartment building. The design includes tapestry brick, galvanized iron cladding and Renaissance ornament

When we photographed the building in November 2019, it was still an apartment building doing business under the name Angelus Apartments.

The highrise behind the building to the left is the Medical Dental Building on Sutter Street.

The building to the right is a modern building which does not contribute to the historic district. When we photographed it, it was doing business as the Orchard Hotel.

This eight-story building was designed by Cunningham & Politeo as a residential hotel. It is clad in stucco, brick and galvanized iron with Art Nouveau ornamentation.

The dark highrise in the background is 555 California Street (formerly the Bank of America Center) which was the tallest building west of the Mississippi River when it was completed in 1969.

When we photographed the former Colonial Hotel, it was doing business as the Orchard Vintage Hotel.

1907 Rendering
Source: NRHP Nomination Form

The Alcazar in Toledo, Spain
Photographed by the Author on 6 November 2013

The Kenilworth Apartments building was designed by architects Sutton & Weeks. The five-story building is clad in rough stucco and clinker brick with ornamentation in the Spanish Colonial Revival style.

The Kenilworth Apartments building, as conceived by the architects with an imposing look-out tower at each corner, reminds me of the Alcazar in Toledo, Spain, and other fortified buildings in Iberia. The impression of impregnability must have been comforting one year after the neighborhood had been destroyed by the 1906 Earthquake and Fire.

This painted brick and cast concrete building was designed by architect A. A. Cantin in the Beaux Arts style. It is the only building in the district known to have survived the 1906 Earthquake and Fire.


Etymology of Pine Street in San Francisco - History

There still stands at 722 and 724 Montgomery Street a building which in the [eighteen-] fifties was for a brief period utilized as a theatre, called “The Melodeon.” Joe Murphy, Lew Rattler, Frank Hussey, the Worrell Sisters and other early day favorites played there. The admission was 25 cents.

San Francisco’s very first entertainment was given by Stephen C. Massett, better known as “Jeemes Pipes of Pipesville,” who on June 22nd 1849, at the Police Office, rendered a program consisting of vocal music and recitations. The front row was reserved for ladies. Four attended.

Among the first regular places of amusement were Robinson and Evrard’s Dramatic Museum on California Street, on about the spot where now stands the San Francisco Bank the first Jenny Lind Theatre at Kearny and Washington, and the first Adelphi Theatre on Clay Street between Kearny and Montgomery. All these were destroyed in the big conflagration of May 4th 1851, and on June 22 a second disastrous fire reduced to ashes the second Jenny Lind Theatre and the Theatre of Arts on Jackson Street.

With undaunted spirit of pioneer managers began rebuilding and before the year was over a third Jenny Lind was erected by Tom Maguire, on the same site as the two previous theatres of that name. The elder Booth played there, as did also Edwin Booth and Mrs. and Mrs. Junius Brutus Booth, Jr. It was a substantial structure, which after a brief occupancy, Maguire sold to the city and was for many years used as a City Hall. With the money thus gained, Maguire bought a one story building on Washington Street above Montgomery, known as San Francisco Hall and converted it into a three-story theatre, changing its name to Maguire’s Opera House. During the sixties many famous actors played there, including Edwin Forrest, Edwin Booth, John McCullough, Lucille Western, Frank Mayo, Matilda Heron and Adah Isaacs Menken.

Maguire’s Opera House passed out of existence in 1873 and the no less famous Metropolitan Theatre on Montgomery Street between Washington and Jackson, shared the same fate, the cutting through of Montgomery Avenue, now known as Columbus Avenue, necessitating the sacrifice. A slice of the Metropolitan stood, however, until the big fire of 1906.

On the corner of Sansome and Halleck Streets stood the American Theatre, where Lola Montez, Kate Hayes, Mr. and Mrs. James Stark, C.R. Thorne and Eph Horn held sway.

In the sixties Maguire built the Academy of Music on Pine Street, below Montgomery, but his several seasons of grand opera were unsuccessful and after several uphill years, the Academy was converted into Cole’s Furniture Warerooms.

It was at Egyptian Hall, a “store show” theatre, at 22 Geary Street, that David Belasco first gave evidence of his genius as a dramatist in 1878. The “Egyptian Mysteries,” a variation of the illusion known as “Pepper’s Ghost,” was exploited there and the program also consisted of one- act farces and dramas which young Belasco wrote and appeared in.

In the seventies the hub of theatrical activity shifted to Bush Street. Above Kearny was located the California Theatre where even after a lapse of half a century the “old California Stock Company” is still gratefully remembered. Below Kearny, on the south side, was the Bush Street Theatre, originally called the Alhambra. After Charles E. Locke gave up the house in the late seventies, Mike Leavitt took charge and it was under his regime that Jos. Gottlob, Charles P. Hall and George Broadhurst received their early theatrical training.

Directly opposite was the old Standard Theatre, previously known as Gray’s Opera House and Congress Hall. Here for several years Emerson’s Minstrels with Billy himself and the redoubtful Charley Reed shone forth resplendent.

The first regularly established variety theater was the Bella Union, located on Washington Street above Kearny. When the latter thoroughfare was widened in 1869, the house was rebuilt and the entrance shifted to 805 Kearny Street. This house had a career of over forty years and among the top- notchers that performed there were Lotta [Crabtree], Ned Harrigan, Elise Biscaccianti, Charley Reed, Thomas C. Leary, Elias Lipsis, half brother of Adah Isaacs Menken, James A. Herne, Pauline Markham, Patti Rosa and Bob Scott, Charles Ross and Mabel Fenton, Johnny Ray, Harry Montague, Junie McCree and Weber and Fields.

The Orpheum Circuit of today is an evolution of the managerial acumen of Gustav Walter, who came to San Francisco in the seventies and successfuly conducted the Fountain at Sutter and Kearny, the Vienna Gardens at Sutter and Stockton and the Wigwam, where the City of Paris now stands [at Stockton and Geary streets]. At this latter house he made enough money to build the O’Farrell Street Orpheum, which opened in 1887 with Rosner’s Hungarian Orchestra and a big Variety bill.


Virtual Home Remedy 2021: An Event Benefitting Pine Street Inn

Founded in 1969, Pine Street Inn provides a comprehensive range of services to nearly 2,000 homeless men and women each day. We are the largest homeless services provider in New England, and could not do this important work without the support of our donors and local community.

Since that time we have been providing a comprehensive range of programs and services, including housing, emergency services, and workforce development. Our ultimate goal is to end homelessness by making permanent housing a reality for all.

Pine Street Innsider: May 2021

Our May Innsider is out! Read Lewis' story as a Pine Street tenant dine for Pine learn new updates about our housing development in Jamaica Plain, in partnership with The Community Builders, Inc. and more! Read the May issue.

Framingham State University and Boston College To Recognize Lyndia Downie

Downie will deliver the commencement address at Framingham State University on Sunday, May 23, celebrating the class of 2020 whose original graduation had been postponed from last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The following day, on May 24, Downie will be awarded an honorary degree from Boston College during their commencement ceremony. Read the Framingham Source article.

Boston Globe: Apartments for homeless to be built in Jamaica Plain

We are glad this housing development can now move forward in partnership with The Community Builders. “This is literally a groundbreaking project for us,” Pine Street Inn President & CEO Lyndia Downie notes. “The people we’re targeting for this [housing development] have been homeless the longest and have the hardest situations,” Downie said. “The support services are the glue that helps folks acquire and stay in the housing they need.” Check out the latest developments in The Boston Globe.

Dine for Pine and support our local restaurants

We are thrilled to announce Dine for Pine - a way to enjoy a delicious meal (at a discount) while supporting local restaurants. Make a gift to Pine Street Inn through www.dineforpine.org and you will receive the promotional discount code to apply to your order at any of our partner restaurants! Participate in Dine for Pine

Pine Street Innsider: April 2021

The April eNews shares how we support and empower individuals moving out of homelessness. Read Troy's story of hope about moving into an apartment of his own after experiencing homelessness for 10 years, register for Home Remedy 2021, and more. Read the April Innsider


شاهد الفيديو: أصل الكلمة. أنت عملتي كالو في نافوخي